•002•

𝚃𝚑𝚎 𝚂𝚝𝚛𝚊𝚗𝚐𝚎𝚛 - 𝙱𝚒𝚕𝚕𝚢 𝙹𝚘𝚎𝚕

It was now the end of Mr. Clarke's class and the kids hadn't seen Will at all. The bell rang and everyone packed up their bags to leave quickly.

"Remember, finish chapter 12–" Mr. Clarke tells the class, "—and answer 12.3 on the difference between an experiment and other forms of science investigation. This will be on the test, which will cover chapters 10 through 12. It will be multiple choice with an essay section..." He trails off.

Beatrice and the boys were still in the classroom, standing right in front of Mr. Clarke's desk. Tapping their fingers on the wood both excitedly and anxiously as they awaited to hear the news.

"So, did it come?" Mike asks, impatiently.

"Sorry, boys." Mr. Clarke sighs, "And Beatrice. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but..." He paused, making the kids let out a sad sigh, "...it came."

They swiftly left the classroom and walked to the AV room with Mr. Clarke. They practically sprinted in because they were so excited. As the kids all play around with the Heathkit ham shack, trying to speak to people in Australia — in terrible Australian accents, I might add — the principal walks in with the town sheriff, Jim Hopper.

"Sorry to interrupt, but, uh, may I borrow Michael, Lucas, Dustin, and Beatrice?" The principal kindly asks Mr. Clarke.

All the kids left the AV room and went into the principal's office. The boys keep speaking over each other while Beatrice stayed quiet. She knows that the officers won't understand anything if they ramble at the same time.

"Okay, okay, okay." Hopper repeats, shutting them up, "One at a time, all right? You," he said, pointing towards Mike, "You said he takes what?"

"Mirkwood," Mike replied, and Beatrice rolled her eyes at him.

"Mirkwood?"

"Yeah."

"Have you ever heard of Mirkwood?" Hopper leans back and whispers to his deputy.

"I have not. That sounds made up to me."

"No, it's from Lord of the Rings." Lucas says.

"Well, The Hobbit." Dustin corrects.

"It doesn't matter." Beatrice speaks for the first time since being in the office.

"He asked!"

"'He asked!'" Bea and Lucas mock.

"Shut up, guys!" Mike scolded. They were all on edge. None of them have ever been sent to the principals office, let alone with the town sheriff.

"Hey, hey, hey!" The sheriff's voice booms, making them grow quiet, "What'd I just say? One at a damn time. You." He gestured towards Mike again.

"Mirkwood, it's a real road. It's just the name that's made up." Mike clears up any confusion.

Bea rolls her eyes again and explains, "It's where Cornwalls and Kerley meet."