•005•

𝙿𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚆𝚘𝚖𝚊𝚗 - 𝚅𝚊𝚗 𝙷𝚊𝚕𝚎𝚗

Beatrice didn't fully understand Dustin's accusation. "What?" She asked in disbelief before jumping from the carpet, rushing to her friends and reading through the manual.

Four pairs of eyes flickered the paragraphs as they read the Dungeons and Dragons description of a Banshee. Lucas pointed towards the bottom of the page with a scoff, "It says, 'A banshee doesn't require air, food, drink, or sleep.' Bea needs all of those things."

"Okay, but what about, 'These creatures covet beautiful objects: fine jewelry, paintings, statues, and other objects of art. At the same time, a banshee abhors any mirrored surface, for it can't bear to see the horror of its own existence. A single glimpse of itself is enough to send a banshee into a rage.'" Dustin read as he followed his finger on the page. He was mentioning Bea's passion in the art subject like Will's, but that's not what she heard.

Bea scoffs and smiled sarcastically, "Oh! Thanks for calling me hideous!" She rolled her eyes at the boys. What was the point of this? She's not an undead elf who failed to use her gift to bring joy to the world. She's Beatrice Holland. A human. Who happened to predict her own sisters death and other strange occurrences... No biggie!

Mike snatches the pamphlet from Dustin's hands. "'When night falls, unlucky travelers hear the faint cries of the forlorn dead. This woeful spirit is a banshee, a spiteful creature formed from the spirit of a female elf.' Blah, blah, blah. 'Divine Wrath.' Blah, blah, blah. 'Sorrow Bound.' Blah, blah. 'Beauty Hoarders.' And, 'Undead Nature.' Bea is none of these things." He dismisses and hands the booklet back to the boy.

"See? Thank you!" Bea cocks her head to the side, forming a tight lip smile. It's a good thing to know she isn't some hideous, undead creature!

"You guys are missing the big picture!" Dustin argues. The trio and El all huddle around Dustin as he reads, "'Detect Life: The banshee can magically sense the presence of living creatures up to 5 miles away. She knows the general direction they're in but not their exact locations.' Now if we were to put this to real life: Bea was able to sense danger. She had a bad feeling about Will, and then she knew when her sister died." With his nose up, Dustin sat their with a proud smirk.

Still processing this information, Bea tries to make sense of it all. "So, instead of detecting life, I detect death, or future disastrous events?"

The boy nodded, "My point, exactly."

Great.

•••••

After the revelation that Bea is in fact a Banshee, the group comes up with a plan. For Eleven to contact Will again, they need to use the Heathkit Hamshack Radio at the school. Obviously, they can't just waltz in with El, so they need to find her more presentable clothing.

Bea was chosen to do El's makeup, being the only other girl of the group. The two were in Nancy's room, sitting on her bed. While the boys were downstairs looking for something for her to wear.

El flinches as Bea pats blush on her cheeks. But she lets Bea continue. Neither knew what they were doing.

"I don't understand why you need to wear makeup. Your skin is flawless." Bea compliments the almost bald girl.