The Perfect Night with You

Once I pulled into the parking lot and parked the truck, there was a feeling of peace when I realized it’s just him and I, no one else. When the hand holding ends I feel a little weird like something is missing then he jogs around the truck and opens the door for me. As we walk up to the restaurant he grabs my hand and pulls me closer to me as we walk. I smiled as we walked to the cute little southern shack that had a back porch out by the lake and lamps on the back porch that glowed like little fires. The time of year was perfect because mosquitoes weren’t a bother and neither was the weather.
    ‘How many?’ The waitress asks, looking at the two of us.
    ‘Just the two of us’ I respond.
    ‘Okay, follow me’ he responds grabbing menus and leads us towards the porch. ‘Will these seats be okay?’ The waitress suddenly asks, suggesting that we were going to be dining outside.
    ‘Yes that is fine. Right?’ I ask looking over at Kyler who was still smiling at the fact that we were at a seafood restaurant.
    ‘Yes.’ Kyler responds to me as I shake my head in approval.
    ‘Your server's name will be David and he will be serving you tonight’ he says before he leaves back to his post. As he leaves it is just Kyler and I, I look up at the lanterns and then I look back down to the menu and almost instantly know what I want. David comes and asks for our drinks and as soon as he comes he leaves to get our drinks. I begin to giggle and then stop myself because I don’t have an explanation other than the feeling of freedom and happiness that was escaping me. Kyler looks up at me and smiles brightly with his eyes blazing with the blue fire I had not seen in such a long time. My heart was beginning to melt and my heart dropped to see him so happy, that’s all that mattered to me at that moment. All I wanted was for him to be happy.

    After dinner, Kyler and I were full of amazing southern food, I couldn’t help but notice how Kyler could not stop smiling even if he wanted to, which made my heart happy. I smile as we walk to the truck because the night wasn’t quite yet over even though it was nine thirty. I get into the truck then look at the ipod then plug the next set of coordinates and I look over at Kyler who was studying me trying to figure what trouble I was getting into next. As we pull out of the drive we pass the hotel and Kyler looks at me then back to the hotel then to me. Confused and relaxed he reaches over to grab my hand and says,
‘Soooo… What are we doing now?’
‘You’ll see. You’re going to like it a lot.’ I jump a little with his touch and then relax and hold his hand again. I smile while I think about what I am about to do for him and what we are going to do for the next few hours.
‘Hmm… I guess this is another thing you planned and was hiding from me?’
‘Yes sir’ I respond to him smiling through the darkness. Kyler giggles then reaches across the center console and pokes me in the side trying to tease me, I giggle and poke him back.

After ten minutes of silence we pull into a spot where it is dark and I am happy with the results that I had from my research a few weeks earlier. I get out and I look at Kyler and tell him to wait in the truck for a second. I grab my bag that I had stuffed into my back two nights before and climb into the back of the truck and turn the light candles on and set him sour rainbows and sour patch kids on the tailgate. I then grabbed the blankets we had the previous morning and laid them out so we could be comfortable. Proud of my work I walk to the passengers' side door and open up to Kyler’s wild eyes studying me and asking 1,000 questions with no words. I lightly grab Kyler’s arm and pull him out of the truck, I shut him door then we walk around to the bed of the truck and I feel the muscles of Kyler’s arm contract. I step over to my small speaker and turn on the music I felt would go well with the moment. I am a little cheesy not going to lie but why not? Especially when you have fallen for your guy best friend and you would want to spend the rest of your life with him.

On a night like this
I could fall in love
I could fall in love with you
In this dark so dense
We talk so soft 

    I stepped up into the truck and Kyler follows, he is still speechless and I can’t help but smile at him when I lay back on the blankets looking up at the stars. The stars were bright tonight and it made me feel happy that I was out with Kyler and it was quiet out here. Kyler comes next to me and rests his head on my shoulder and says ‘thank you.’ I smile and when our eyes connect I touch his cheek and kiss him lightly unaware of whether he would let me or not. He’s still for a second and when he finally decides that he likes the kiss he cups my face and pulls me closer for another kiss. When we part we can feel the cool Alabama air lightly grazing our blushing faces. He smiles sheepishly and pulls me into him. While we sit in the back of the truck looking up at the stars for about an hour just listening to the music and the life around us. I just listen to his steady heart beat and find my eyes closing.
Who knew that a relationship that lasts would feel so good to a broken heart. I never want to go home now because being with him nothing is wrong with me. My heart isn’t hurting, my friendship problems are non-existent, and being myself just comes easy. But I guess like every dream you have to get up and it has to end. So I guess that I know for certain there is going to be good change and bad change when I get home.  Tick, tick, tick. What is that noise, there isn’t a clock anywhere in the bed of the truck.
I wake up and I am breathing heavily. Where am I? I think to myself.