nine

Chloe

I was expecting some dramatic turn-away, But you stayed

"Chloe?" Josh begs, knocking on the door again. I haven't spoken in a while, so I'm hoping that he'll think I'm asleep and just go away. "Please open up."

I don't respond. I don't know what to say and I'm scared that if I try to speak to him, I'll say something that will only make it worse.

"I'm sorry Chloe." Another knock, but only more silence. "I didn't mean for it to happen and I swear I pulled away right after it did."

I know he did. Josh might've been a whore in high school, but I always came first to him. No matter what, I always came first. Even that night he could've slept with Kendall, he stopped to help me. He would never hurt me or stand back and watch me be hurt.

"Please Chloe." I wasn't completely honest with him about Rem either. Rem didn't want to meet Josh. Rem wanted that dinner to be just him and me. Rem isn't just flirty with people, he's flirty just with me. I don't know why I lied to Josh about that.

"I love you." I love you too Josh. That's why I wanted Rem to meet you, not the other way around. He needed to see that I love you and that he doesn't stand a chance with me because I have you. That's why I forced you to come to dinner tonight but I screwed that up.

"This is all my fault and I know that." No, it's not. It's my fault. I got carried away at dinner and let you believe that Rem has a chance. He doesn't. Nobody has ever had a chance, not even when I was dating Nick. It was always you Josh. Always. Now Rem's going to think that you and I are having problem, but we're not. We're perfectly fine. 

"I'm not leaving. I'm right outside this door, all night long." I'm not leaving either Josh. You're stuck with me forever.