twenty three

Chloe

But I think that it's best if we both stay, stay, stay, stay

 "What?" I ask, finally standing up from the couch to see who is at the door. Josh trails right behind me, hugging me from behind as we walk.

When I reach the doorway and I see the tall, skinny girl standing there, holding three duffel bags with a normal suitcase resting at her feet, I break out of Josh's grip and jump on her. 

Kendall nearly falls backwards when she catches me and has to drop all of her bags to balance herself. She wraps her arms around me and I can feel the tears start to trickle out of my eyes. I've missed my best friend so much.

Immediately after I pull away from her, Josh takes my spot hugging her. Zack still stands there, gawking at Kendall, asking who she is.

"Zack," I say, "this is our friend Kendall."

"Oh, so this is Kendall," he whistles. If I didn't know Zack, I'd think he was a total creep, but he's a really nice guy.

"And you must be Zack." Kendall giggles shyly before standing up on her tiptoes to give him a hug.

"What're you doing here?" Josh intrigues, picking up Kendall's bags and dragging them inside the apartment. 

I pull Kendall in and push her down on the middle cushion of the couch. I take the one on her right and Zack the one on her left. After Josh throws the duffels in the spare bedroom, he comes over and sits on my lap.

"You didn't think I was going to miss your showcase now did you?" Kendall gasps, shocked that we doubted her.

"I'd hoped that you'd be able to come but I thought you were working," he explains. I squirm out from underneath him after losing all the feeling in my legs and we swap positions so I'm now comfortably on his lap.

"About work," Kendall begins, but she trails off, leaving us wondering what she was going to say before she continues. "Los Angeles wasn't exactly what I hoped it was going to be."

"What do you mean?" I ask. Kendall opens her mouth as if she is going to say something, but then shuts it. It takes her a while to form a response.

"I just didn't love it. The people at the agency were jerks and the other models were bitches. I couldn't take them anymore," she says.

"But what about school?" I question, my motherly instincts kicking in.

"Don't worry. I made sure that my transfer to NYU was all set to go before I made any drastic life choices," she explains. "I start in the normal school for the second semester. I'm going to major in education so I can become a teacher."

"Oh my gosh that's great!" I cheer, reaching over and hugging her.

"And you guys just got yourself a new permanent roommate because I'm staying here. I am not living in a dorm with some stranger."