seventeen

Chloe

Who took all of their problems out on me

Ten minutes before opening, I'm standing in front of a mirror in the hallway, reapplying lipstick and smoothing back the few strands of frizzy hair. I try to turn my lips up into a smile, but they droop back down to form a pout.

"There's our beautiful artist," Rem says, appearing behind me. I offer him the largest smile I can muster, but it's merely the corner of my lips turning up. "Is Josh here yet?"

"He's not coming," I answer briefly. I can see his signature smirk appear on his, let's be honest, extremely attractive face and I know immediately what he's thinking. "Unlike some people who are having world-renowned art galleries handed down to them in a few years, some of us have to work to make sure that we can get good jobs and achieve our dreams."

"Ouch," he breathes out, the words airy and light. "We can't have our star not have a date, so I guess you're going to be stuck with me."

I laugh bitterly and sharply. "Get it through your mind that you have no chance with me. I'm with Josh and just because he's not here, which he wants to be by the way, it doesn't mean you can swoop in."

He bends his head down so his lips are right next to my ear. The insides tingle as they feel his hot breath move through them. "I'm giving you the opportunity of a lifetime tonight. The least you can do is be thankful."

"I said thank you. Now you should be thankful that I haven't called the cops because I can get you for sexual harassment so quickly it would make your head spin," I inform him. He still doesn't seem to get the message though. 

He slides one hand down my back and then moves it side-to-side dangerously low.

"Rem, you kind of remind me of my ex-boyfriend," I say.

"Sounds like I've got more of a chance with you than you want me to believe," he murmurs, leaning in to kiss my cheek. I shove him away and stomp on his foot with my heel, leaving him groaning in pain. I lift his face to mine using the collar of his shirt and lean in very close to his ear.

"Maybe not. My ex-boyfriend was a drunk, abusive asshole who almost tried to kill one of my best friends, tried sleeping with my other best friend, and tried raping me before breaking a beer bottle over my head," I whisper. 

Rem's face is burning deep crimson as I pull away from him. I glance down at my watch and see that it's 7:02, two minutes after we were supposed to open the gallery doors. 

"Oh, would you look at that. It's time to open." And when I walk away to start greeting guests, I genuinely smile.