twenty four

Chloe

Stay

"Zack, you're staying over for dinner, right?" I ask from the kitchen. I'm mashing up potatoes with my hands and mixing them with butter and bacon alongside Josh, who is pan-searing filets of steak that he'll sooner than later put in the oven. 

Kendall always loved when we cooked this for her during high school so once she popped up, Josh ran to the grocery store and picked up the ingredients.

"Nah, I figured I'd give the three of you time to reconnect," he replies from the living room. He's sitting on the couch with Kendall and they're so close that my motherly instincts are telling me to sit down in between them to spread them apart. 

But my hands are covered in potatoes and they look like they're having a good time talking to each other so I'll leave them be. I knew the two of them would hit it off.

"You're going to make me third wheel on my first night here?" Kendall whines and although her back is to me, I just know she's giving him her famous puppy dog eyes and pout. You better watch out if she ever gives that look to you because I swear she could convince someone to murder their own family using it.

"Okay, okay!" Zack gives in. "I'm staying."

"Should I make things awkward?" Josh whispers to me. He's finally put the steaks in the oven and I set my bowl of mashed potatoes down on the counter next to it before heading over to the sink to wash my hands.

"No!" I cry. "Let them get to know each other."

Josh nods his head in the direction of the living room. "Looks like they know each other pretty well."

I turn my head around and my jaw nearly drops down to the counter. They're angled in a way that allows me to see that their lips are locked together. They certainly move quickly.

"Oh yeah. Make things awkward," I say. I laugh quietly as Josh goes over and squeezes himself in between Kendall and Zack, just like I'd considered doing earlier. Only now it's even weirder because they were kissing when he did it.

"What are your intentions with my little Kendall?" Josh interrogates.

"Um, I don't know. I'd like to get to know her a little better?" Zack answers.

"Is that a question or a statement? I refuse to let her get hurt so you better figure it out and fast," Josh demands.

"Stop it Josh!" Kendall groans.

"You will not be kissing on the first date as long as I'm around," he continues, wiggling a finger in front of her face.

"Then go away so we can get back to it," she jokes.

"Ha ha, very clever," he continues. I make my way over to them, propping myself up on the arm of the side Zack is closest to.

"You're just mad because he's a better kisser than you," Kendall fires.

"And Chloe's a better kisser than you," he shoots back.

"I should probably test that out so we can get a second opinion on the matter," Zack suggests.

Kendall leans across Josh and tilts Zack's chin so he's facing her. "You're mine." And then they're kissing again. I knew they'd hit it off but I really didn't think they would so much so soon.

"I'm feeling very uncomfortable right now," Josh says.

Kendall pulls away just long enough to tell him, "Then go make out with Chloe in the kitchen."