Chapter 2 - The Janitor

Freddie Highmore as Roman Kane

Ten years ago ...

"Okay, Roman, I want you to stay right here while I'm at the meeting." Marcus Kane said to his small seven- going-on-eight-year-old son. "You mustn't leave this spot, and no wandering off."

"But Dad," complained the young boy, looking up at his father with big blue eyes. "Why can't I just stay with Gran today?"

"She's very busy with the church today," Kane said lifting Roman and placing him on the bench just outside the meeting room. "Don't worry, she'll be over for lunch later. Now, stay put and try not to make a mess."

Roman huffed and crossed his arms. Kane ruffled his son's hair and walked into the meeting room. 

After only a few minutes, Roman felt bored. He kicked his legs against the metal bench and looked around curiously.

Ever since his father had joined the Council, Roman rarely got to see him. Kane always left him in the care of either Roman's grandmother Vera or his new girlfriend Cece. Roman liked Cece a lot, but then again, his real mother left when he was born. So Cece was the closest thing he had to a mother figure. He honestly didn't know what she saw in his father, to be honest, he was always serious and borderline a jerk while Cece was a pure ray of sunshine.

"Hello!" A small voice chirped, snapping Roman out of his thoughts. He looked up and saw a small girl with pretty locks of golden blonde hair and the prettiest blue eyes he had ever seen. She wore black leggings and a grey shirt that was so large it almost looked like a dress on her.

Roman wasn't a people person, he didn't really like to talk. This was no exception. 

His face was scarlet as he let out a soft squeak. "H-hi."

"What are you doing here?" the little girl asked, tilting her head.

"M-my Dad's in the meeting," Roman spoke softly, pointing at the door that led to the meeting room. "He told me to wait here for him."

"Oh! My parents are also in the meeting!" The girl said sitting next to him. She held out her hand. "I'm Clarke by the way. Clarke Griffin."

Roman cautiously took her hand and shook it. "Roman Kane."

The two continued to talk for a while. Clarke told him that her parents were the chief engineer and doctor and that she wanted to be a doctor just like her mother. Roman didn't know how she managed to hear him when he mumbled that he wanted to be an engineer. She offered to get her father to take him on as an apprentice.

"You don't have to do that ..." Roman muttered shyly.

"Oh, it's okay, my Dad wouldn't mind! He'll be happy to help!"

"Happy to help with what?" Another voice joined the conversation. Roman looked and saw a man with blue eyes just like Clarke's. He assumed that he must be her father.