Chapter 35 - The Journey

Raven woke up with a painful headache. Her head was throbbing and her eyes were groggily forcing her back to sleep. She had no idea what was going on until she saw the whiskey bottle lying on the floor of the workshop. And then it hit her.

She was drinking last night, and rather than sleeping in her tent as usual, she fell asleep in her chair with a bottle of whiskey as her only companion. That probably explained why her back cracked when she stretched her arms above her head. But there was still an uncomfortable cramp in her lower back from sleeping in an awkward position all night. Never sleep upright on your desk, especially while drunk.

And the reason she had been drinking so heavily last night ... she didn't want to think about it. Mostly because there were too many things to think about.

"Morning, Sleeping Beauty."

Raven sat upright in her seat, turning around to see Sinclair walking into the workshop while holding two cups. He placed one of the cups in front of Raven.

"Abby put a little something in it to help with your headache," he smirked, watching the girl pick it up and eyed it carefully.

There was a minty scent coming from the drink, along with a slight froth appearing on the top. Raven eyed it warily before slowly raising it to her lips and taking a tiny sip. She scrunched her nose at the bitter taste but continued to take another sip.

Better to drink a gallon of this that to deal with a hangover.

"How did she know I drank last night?"

Sinclair chuckled. "Because you made it pretty obvious to everyone that you were drunk."

"What did I do?"

"You rambled about how terrible your life is, got angry when someone brought up Mister Kane, and then wallowed in self-pity before your friend Bellamy had to chase after you and make sure you didn't try to climb through the electric fence."

Raven let out a loud groan, rubbing her eyes. "Yesterday was a mess."

The older man looked over at her with a raised eyebrow. "And why was it a mess? What happened that made you fall off the deep end?"

The girl straightened in her seat; her eyes fixed on the desk across from her. The empty desk.

"I'm just tired. Things have been tough lately, you know, with my leg and all."

She looked at her boss and saw that his mouth formed a straight line. He didn't believe her. He knew that she was speaking only half of the truth. He also knew the other reason that she was out of it. But he decided not to press any further as he took a long sip of his drink. He leaned his lower back against his own desk, skimming all the other desks until his eyes landed on one in particular. The desk that Raven was staring at.

Suddenly, Sinclair tilted his head to the side and squinted his eyes. "What's that?"

Raven followed his stare and looked over at the desk. There were a couple of loose scraps scattered across the countertop. But then she noticed something else. It was small and rectangular, with a leather binding and a long black pen attached to it with an elastic band.

Sinclair made his way to the object and picked it up, examining it. It was a leather notebook, medium size. The notebook was open, and as Sinclair looked at it, Raven managed to capture a glimpse of familiar cabin designs. She knew whose notebook it was.

"That's his notebook," she said softly. "Roman's notebook."

It was strange. He never went anywhere without it. But here it was.