Chapter 8 - The Descent

"Abby, how about I pace in the operating room next time you're working?" Raven asked sarcastically, kneeling underneath the pod and attaching the pressure regulator. "How's it going up there, Little Prince?"

"It's Roman, I just need to connect these last two wires," Roman responded, his eyes fixed on his work. He sensed Abby's presence next to him. 

"Roman, are you sure you're okay?" She asked him.

"I'll be fine once we get this thing up and running."

"I mean about going to the ground?"

Roman connected the wires and sat back in the passenger seat. He lifted his head and met Abby's eyes.

"I ..." He spoke in a hesitant tone. "I ... guess I'm just scared about what's down there. But at least I'll be with Clarke and Wells again, even though I'm still mad at him about what happened to Uncle Jake."

Roman noticed Abby bite her lip, she seemed troubled. She met his eyes again, but there was a sort of guilt behind her eye.

"Roman ... I have to tell you something ..."

Roman raised an eyebrow in curiosity. Abby took a deep breath and spoke.

"It wasn't Wells who told the Chancellor about Jake ... it was me."

Roman's mind went blank. He felt his heart shatter.

Abby told on Jake. She was also the reason Clarke was arrested. Her own husband and daughter. This meant that Roman had punched Wells in the face for no reason, he had pushed him away and hated him for his mentor's death for nothing. 

"Roman, I'm so sorry. I should have told you this sooner."

Roman averted his gaze from hers. His mouth forming a straight line. He was boiling with anger. He wanted to yell at her but now was not the time. He didn't have the time to deal with his personal issues. He wasn't a part of the Griffin family, Clarke should be the one to deal with her mother, not him.

"Save it." He whispered softly.

"Roman - "

"I said save it! We don't have time for this! As soon as we get to the ground, don't explain yourself to me. Explain yourself to Clarke." Roman raised his voice, causing Abby to move away from him in shock.

"Roman!" 

Roman lifted his head and looked through the windshield. He saw Jackson rushing towards them. Abby moved aside so that Roman could climb out of the pod.

"What happened?" he asked.

"The Council has sent guards to arrest you for the Chancellor being shot! And your father is on his way with his own men, to arrest Abby and Raven. Nygel probably told them where we are."

"She turned us in." Abby snarled. "How much longer?"

"Twenty minutes," Raven answered.

"They'll be here in five," Abby muttered, before looking back at Roman. "No matter what happens, you launch that pod. Do you understand?"

"You're not coming with us?" Roman asked.

"Even if I could, there's only room for two. The second you two find those kids, you'll radio back to us. Over three hundred people will die if you don't."

A thought popped into Roman's mind. He quickly pulled out the notebook he got for his birthday and opened it onto the first page. He rushed over to the table and quickly scribbled onto the paper. He didn't even need to think of what to write, the message was already clear in his mind. As soon as he finished writing, he skimmed through the message. His writing was untidy, but it was readable.