Chapter 39 - The Ambassador

"Still as fiery as ever."

"She's always been like that, even when we were kids. She doesn't forgive easily."

"We'll let her cool down, and then I'll request an audience with her. However ... I reckon she'll want to speak with you as well."

"... I guess so."

"But other than that, have Indra organize security at the wall. You and Cassian will organize security here. And ... "

"Yes?"

"Check on the Prince. Make sure that he has no means of escape."

"Yes, Commander."

"And Roman ... don't make it personal."

"I don't make things personal."

Prince Roan of Azgeda was hunched over the bench in his confined quarters. Upon hearing the sound of the doors open, he looked up, and the first thing he saw was furious, blue eyes.

Don't make it personal.

Roman Kane glared coldly at the prince. He hated looking at that man's smug face, and listening to his taunting words, especially when it came to Skaikru. He raised his hand, signaling the two warriors standing on either side of him. They both turned and left the room without question. Roan looked at the boy standing a few feet from him with a strange look.

Don't make it personal.

"This again? Really?" he sighed exasperatedly.

Roman said nothing. His leather boots hit the floor as he slowly walked towards the prince.

Don't make it personal.

"This is how you repay me for bringing her here?" Roan continued; he was starting to sound angry. "I did what you asked! I expect you to honor the deal – "

His sentence was cut short when Roman's fist connected with his jaw. Roan winced from impact; his hair thrown over his face from the impact of the punch. However, he wasn't angry anymore, instead, he let out a low chuckle, slowly turning his face to meet Roman's gaze again. There was a smug smile on his face. Roman wanted to punch him again just to wipe it off.

So much for not making it personal.

"Well, that wasn't very nice, Angel," Roan chided, scrunching his face in pain.

"Lexa told you to bring her here unharmed," Roman snapped, leaning closer to the Prince. "She's covered in bruises! You were supposed to keep her safe, not beat her up! The fact that you're even still breathing is a mercy."

"She fought the whole damn trip here! I had to do something to stop her from escaping, especially since your people were also looking for her!"

Roman was very vocal with Lexa when she agreed to let Roan go if he found Clarke, but her mind was made up and the deal had already been made. He grew even more anxious when informants told them about how Azgeda had also sent bounty hunters to find her. He feared that Roan would join up with his old buddies and they would find and kill Clarke themselves. So, as a precaution, he convinced Lexa to allow Indra and Cassian to warn his father in Arkadia about the impending war with Azgeda. However, that was only part of their mission, he also instructed them to search for Clarke on their own, perhaps with the help of his father and Bellamy if the two of them were able to go with them. So that she would be safe with people that they were both familiar with. People they trusted.

Roan tilted his head to the side, seeming to have read the expression on Roman's face. "You knew your people were looking for her, because you told them to," his smirk grew wider. "Going against the Heda's orders? And you expect to become the Thirteenth clan like that."