Chapter 31 - The Bloody Prince

Clarke was wandering around the ruined remains of the camp. She passed all the makeshift tents, where she saw warriors preparing to march on Mount Weather.

She was restless. They were going to war tomorrow, so she could hardly sleep with the idea of a full-out massacre – which could be far worse than when it was just the delinquents against the Grounders.

She saw Octavia sitting all by herself beside a nearby fire. She was using a whetstone to sharpen her sword. Clarke wonder where Lincoln was, as she assumed that they would always be with each other. There was no sign of him anywhere near the fire.

She decided to approach the dark-haired girl.

"Hey, Octavia."

The youngest Blake sibling looked up at the blonde.

"Clarke."

"Where's Lincoln?" Clarke asked, looking around for any sight of Octavia's boyfriend.

"He's getting ready to scout the mountain. I'll be joining him soon."

Clarke nodded, looking down at the fire. She ran her tongue over her dry lips. She wanted to say more to Octavia but the aura the brunette girl gave off felt very unwelcoming.

Octavia glanced sideways at Clarke again, before rolling her eyes and sighing.

"And Roman's with Cassian, before you ask," she said exasperatedly. "They're set to relieve the guards at the west post.

Clarke's eyes darted to hers again.

"Yeah. Right. Of course, he is."

She always wondered where Roman was. She would catch small glimpses of him throughout the village. Either training with Cassian, replaying information that Raven gave him to Indra and Lexa, preparing and making sure that their war plans were set and ready, or just sitting by himself all around the ruins of Tondc.

"He's still in a pretty bad mood. And he's really pissed off with you," Octavia said nonchalantly. "Must have been one hell of a fallout between you two."

Clarke grew stiff.

That was the one that knew about what really happened to Tondc was Roman. He still wasn't talking to her. He wouldn't even look her in the eye. And in all honesty, she felt like she deserved it. She just couldn't get that day out of her head. The day after the missile was dropped on Tondc. When Roman yelled at her. He was angry and disappointed in her.

"He just needs to cool down."

Octavia scoffed. "I don't think he'll let you off the hook that easily. And he probably has a good reason too."

Clarke took another look at the girl sitting on the log before her. Octavia's face was dark, and she looked pissed off. Really pissed off.

"Octavia, is everything okay?"

Octavia's vibrant blue eyes were trained on the fire. Her mouth tightened. Her face twisted into a deep frown.

"I've been thinking about it ... over and over. Just trying to figure out how you're still alive."

The blonde-haired girl felt the blood flowing out of her cheeks. Her nails dug into the palms of her hands.

"I saw you right before the missile hit. I know you, Clarke. Something was wrong. And then you and Lexa disappear and just happen to survive. And then Roman and Lincoln return from hunting down the snipers with you two right behind them, and Roman is angry at you and can't even stand to be in the same room as you. It's like ... he knows where you were when the missile hit," her eyes flickered toward Clarke, and that's when the blonde saw the refusal. Octavia was trying her best not to believe what was the truth. "And why you survived."