Chapter 19 - The Operation

"I'm almost done," Abby said, focusing on carefully stitching Roman's shoulder. "So, you don't know why your blood is like this?"

Roman sighed. He was beginning to get annoyed with getting asked the same question over and over again. 

"No, and this was the first time I've ever gotten hurt on the ground ... that I'm aware of."

Abby nodded. "Well, one thing's for sure. Your blood wasn't like this when you were on the Ark. I know because I've been checking your vital signs since you were three months old."

"Yeah, I figured that much out."

"I'm just surprised that he hasn't flinched once from the needle," Raven said as she lay in the bed a few feet away from them. "Are you secretly immune to pain?"

Nope, Roman could feel every time the needle pierced his skin, and it hurt like the devil. He didn't know why he wasn't reacting to the way he should be to the pain, maybe because his mind was elsewhere. 

The entire dropship camp was deserted. Clarke, Jasper, and all the other delinquents had completely vanished. Only Bellamy, Finn, Murphy, Monroe, Sterling, Raven, and he were the only ones that were found. The thought of his best friend, and all the other people that he had come to care about being taken by the Grounders ... he was worried about what might've happened to them. 

"Okay," he was snapped out of his thoughts by Abby speaking to him. "I'm finished."

Roman looked down at his arm to see the new stitches on his shoulder. Abby took a clean bandage and wrapped it over his wound. Abby moved away to put her equipment away, Roman climbed off of the table that he had been sitting on. He lifted his arm slightly, it was still quite sore, but it was fine enough for him to go about his business as usual. He looked up to see Abby hand him a navy blue cotton long-sleeved sweater.

"It's your father's, he said you could use it since your old shirt was torn."

"Thanks," Roman said, taking the sweater and slipping it on. It was slightly large for him, but then again, his father had always been much taller than him. 

Taking his jacket that was hanging from a nearby stool, he walked and stood beside the bed that Raven was lying on. He examined her. She looked a lot better than yesterday after spending the entire night in Abby's care. For one, a little bit of color had returned to her face and her forehead wasn't covered in sweat. 

"Are you feeling any better now?" He asked her.

"I still feel like shit, but it's better than one day ago," Raven replied, looking up at him with tired eyes. 

"She's not out of the woods yet," Abby said, standing beside Roman and looking down at her with her arms crossed. "I still need to properly examine the bullet wound, only then can we determine the best way to fix you up."

"You're the boss, Doc," Raven shrugged, looking up at the ceiling of the tent. "I wonder what's taking Finn so long."

"He insisted on going to get us food and water," Roman explained. "Plus I think he stopped by the containment facility to try and see Bellamy, but I doubt my Dad will let anyone see prisoners until he's done interrogating him."

"You think you can talk him into letting him go?" Abby asked. "Marcus will listen if it's you."

"I can try ... and I do need to talk to him about going to look for Clarke and the others."

"Roman, you're not going anywhere," Abby said sternly. "It's too dangerous out there."

Roman frowned. "Clarke's missing. You can't expect me to stay here while the Grounders are out there doing God knows what to her and Jasper and the others!"