Chapter 27 - The Sword

"This was the limestone you asked for," Roman said, holding a small bag over to Bellamy. "Why do you guys need it anyway?"

"The Reapers wear limestone on their faces," Lincoln explained, adjusting the furs of his Reaper outfit. "I think the Mountain Men use it as some sort of war paint. The same way we use charcoal as ours."

Roman nodded at this. He watched Bellamy pack the bag of limestone powder in a pouch on his belt. He was also dressed in Reaper clothing. It was some clothes that Trikru had given them so that they could sneak into Mount Weather without being seen. By pretending to be Reapers. 

Roman bit his lip. Despite them spending two days preparing for this mission, he still felt unsure. He was worried after hearing everything that Lincoln had told them about what they did to the Grounders that they captured. He was scared of what would happen if the Mountain Men turned Lincoln back into a Reaper, or that they might do the same to Bellamy, or worse - they'd start extracting them of their bone marrow. 

"I don't like this."

"You don't like a lot of things, Caesar," Bellamy said as he slipped on a large fur cloak. "We'll be fine, you can stop worrying."

"He's right to worry," Roman and Bellamy looked over at Lincoln. "The things that I saw there, the things they did to me, it's a thing I really don't wanna remember." He closed his eyes as if he remembered a painful memory of what happened at Mount Weather. Lincoln opened his eyes again and made eye contact with Roman. "We'll be careful. I'll take care of the Reapers long enough for Bellamy to sneak past them. After that, he'll do what you instructed him to do."

Roman nodded, but deep down he still felt unsure. He turned back to Bellamy. 

"And do you remember what I told you to do about the radio connection?" he asked. 

Bellamy sighed, "Yeah I remember, especially after you explained it to me a dozen times. You were such a mom about it too."

"Only because I wanted to get it into that thick skull of yours," Roman said in an annoyed tone, lightly poking him in the arm.

"I appreciate your faith in my intelligence."

"You're welcome."

Roman felt his mouth twitch upward slightly, but he didn't smile. It was very rare to smile these days - not just for him - with everything that had been going on as of late. He was beginning to find it harder and harder to find something to joke about, despite actually finding Wick's jokes kinda funny. 

His annoyed expression changed to a more solemn one. He looked between the two young men standing in front of him. 

"Be careful," he said in his most sincere voice. "Both of you."

Lincoln gave him a nod of appreciation, while Bellamy seemed taken aback by the small sentiment. Maybe it was because he was too used to him and Roman spitting out nothing but insults to annoy each other. And although Roman was not ready to admit it, he cared about Bellamy and was worried about his friend's safety. 

Bellamy quickly recovered from his shock. "Yeah, er, you too, Caesar."

He and Lincoln finished preparing to leave. Roman followed after them as they reached the gates of Camp Jaha. Once they were standing outside the camp walls, Roman stood with his hands in his pockets. 

"May we meet again," he called after Bellamy and Lincoln as they turned to leave. 

"May we meet again," the two said in unison before turning and walking away from Camp Jaha. 

Roman watched them from where he was standing just outside of the gates. He continued to watch them until they had both disappeared into the forest, but he continued to stand where he was. He knew that both Lincoln and Bellamy were strong fighters and that they could hold up against the Reapers, but he still couldn't help but worry.