Chapter 41 - The Duel

The atmosphere was tense. Clarke knew it would be, after the mess that was last night. She could feel their hostile glares on her, all the Ambassadors seated in their respective seats on either side of Lexa's throne. In their eyes, Skaikru was the enemy who ruined the sanctity of a sacred ceremony and broke the peace treaty by having people reside in Mount Weather.

She glanced sideways at Roman. He was in the Ambassador's seat for Skaikru, while she was in a smaller seat beside him. He was sitting upright in his chair, his arms folded neatly on his lap, with his gaze cast on the floor. She could tell by the deep frown on his face and the way his eyes seemed to be scanning every inch of the floor, he was in deep thought. He looked a lot more calmer than she was, his stoic face made him appear unfazed, even under the scrutinizing stares of the other Ambassadors. Or maybe he was so lost in his mind that he barely noticed, he always had the tendency to do that, even when they were younger.

The doors opened; Titus entered first, announcing the Commanders' arrival. All of the Ambassadors rose from their seats. Clarke also stood up and stood beside Roman, watching Lexa enter the room and sit down on her throne. She raised her hand and everyone returned to their seats.

"Ambassadors of the Coalition," she spoke in a loud voice. "Today, we honor our covenant . The clan that stands against one of us all."

Lexa made eye contact with Titus, nodding her head at him. Titus turned to the guards standing at the doors.

"Open the doors and bring forth the accused."

The guards grabbed the doors and pulled them open. Two more guards entered the room, dragging a chain-bound figure along with them. Clarke stared at the looming figure of whom she assumed was the Ice Queen. She could tell that this was Roan's mother, she had the same sharp facial features as her son. With the same familiar ice-coloured eyes that seemed a little too relaxed for someone who had been accused of murder. And when her eyes flickered in the direction of Clarke and Roman, Clarke could've sworn she saw her mouth form a cruel smirk.

The guards forced the Ice Queen to stop right in front of Lexa's throne, focusing her gaze on Lexa and Titus.

"Queen Nia of Azgeda has confessed to the destruction of Mount Weather," Titus announced to the hall of Ambassadors. "This heinous crime resulted in the death of 49 members of Skaikru. A crime like this deserves punishment." He turned to Roman. "Skaikru Ambassador, what say you?"

"Skaikru demands justice for the lives we have lost to Azgeda," Roman replied without even a hint of hesitation.

Queen Nia scoffed. "Azgeda na nou chich op goufas." (The Ice Nation does not answer to children)

"Hosh op!" Titus snarled at the queen. "The punishment for your crime is death. Do you have anything to say in your defense?" (Silence!)

Queen Nia tilted her head to the side. Her eyes ... Clarke noticed that they seemed to be always calculating, they always looked at their target and immediately sized them up and deciding how to go about destroying them. Right now, she was looking at Lexa. Lexa probably knew exactly what she was doing, but she maintained her poker face.

"I need no defense," she narrowed her eyes at Lexa. "She does. Today is her judgement day." She turned her body to face the rest of the throne room. "I call for a vote of no confidence."

The sound of murmurs erupted in the room, with the other ambassadors sharing looks with each other. Clarke noticed Roman's body grow rigid beside her. She glanced sideways at him, seeing that he was gripping the armrests of his chair tightly.

Titus glowered at the Ice Queen. "Take this queen to meet her fate!" He spat at the guards.

The guards were about to move to drag Queen Nia away, but they were halted when one of the other Ambassadors suddenly rose from his seat.