Chapter Forty Seven

"Happy Birthdaaaaaaaaaaay!" is bellowed in a less than harmonious way on my iPad screen, as Maisy, Senna and Ash all jostle around with each other whilst FaceTiming me. One is frantically waving balloons around, one is holding up a banner with: 16 today and still not sweet, and another is loudly blowing into a foil party blower.

"You lot are crazy!" I giggle, balancing my iPad on the funky tablet beanbag that mum bought for me. "My parcel arrived this morning, thank yoooooou for all your gifts...they're awesome!" Reaching for the box of goodies they sent, I excitedly start showing them my fave gifts. "This hedgehog scarf is sooooooo cool! Oh, and this rainbow candle smells diviiiiiiiiiine! And this Manuka honey face mask is amazing stuff!" Crossed-legged on my bed, I then eagerly brandish yet another present in front of the screen. "And I'm loviiiiiiiing this bandana!" My excitement feels bottomless today. My birthday seems to be getting better and better. "I love you guys! Thank you so much for your amazing gifts," I eagerly articulate my joy and my gratitude to my trio of wonderful friends. Although they know I have chosen Minehead to be the place I now call home, they still want me in their lives. They make an effort to include me in our circle of friendship, despite the distance.

"Awwww, you're welcome, Mindy! So, what prezzies have you had?" Maisy asks, her eyes wide with girlish curiosity.

Pushing back my slightly damp curls from off my shoulders, I lean forwards on my bed, a smile already beginning to branch out across my face. "Myself and mum got up early so we could have fresh croissants and caramel lattes at my favourite little beachfront café, she also bought me a tablet beanbag for my iPad that I'm using right now, and she's given me some money for some new clothes."

"Things are better between you two, then?" Senna questions, squeezing herself in between Ash and Maisy with a sly little grin.

"Yeah, we are...a lot better." Smiling down at my screen, it actually feels good to say that out loud, and to know that it's true. Myself and mum have been getting on well. It's like a mountain of resentment has been removed from our relationship. Being with her, is beginning to feel easier, and sometimes, it's even fun. "Dad came up at lunchtime, he said he's opened an account for me with some money in so I can apply for my provisional driving licence, and have money ready for starting my driving lessons next year."

"Wow! That's really cool!" Ash chimes in with, his pale blue eyes wide and impressed. "Then again, your dad is cool," he happily adds, to which I eagerly nod.

"He is. We bought some chips and went and sat on the promenade for a while. We were having a lovely time until some seagulls dive bombed us, trying to nab our food." As the memory floats into my thoughts, I can't help but laugh. "Dad went all The Matrix on me, trying to keep the birds away...it was hilarious!" I share the hysterical moment with my friends, for I know they'll appreciate it. Dad is naturally a warm and funny guy. Maisy, Senna, and especially Ash, absolutely love and admire that about him.

"Brilliant!" Senna comments with her amusement, no doubt the vision of my dear dad going full-on Neo with a ravenous flock of seagulls now streaming in her head.

"When are you seeing Chas, then?" Maisy asks, her tone light and hearty.

"Me and him are meeting Ella and Zigs, and Ros and Josh at the cinema, then he apparently has a surprise for me." As soon as the words exit my mouth, a whoosh of warm anticipation floods my now sixteen year old veins. My high spirits and my inner elation, suddenly makes it hard to think straight.

"Isn't Josh the new guy Ros has just met?" Ash asks me, forcing my scattered and elated thoughts to come back together.

"Yup, it's only their third date, but he's a nice lad, so I'm sure it'll be okay." Tonight has to be okay. It's my birthday, I'm in a great mood, and Chas has a surprise for me...so yeah, tonight really does have to be okay.