twenty-three

{ Kemper }

Caleb and I slowly walked down the steps of the Hemmings household. Our dad's were out of town and since I don't have a parent at home, I was staying with Sierra and Caleb.

Let's just say, since my birthday, things have been weird with me and Caleb. I don't know if I like him. I've always seen him as a cousin or a brother so it's just weird. Logan swears up and down that Caleb likes me. I just don't know what I feel.

Caleb and I hopped up on the stools at the breakfast bar. Aunt Si had her back to us as she stood at the stove,

"Morning Mom!" Caleb chirped making Aunt Sierra jump, her hand going to her chest,

"Caleb" she gasped, "I swear you two are so quiet"

We both laughed and she brought two plates over, sitting them in front of us,

"I'm going out in a little bit. Are you all doing anything?"

"Hunter is picking us up at like 1 and we're going to Logan's" Caleb answered,

"Okay" Sierra sighed, "If you all stay the night please text me"

****

I helped Caleb clean up breakfast before we went up to his room. He sat at his desk playing a game on his computer while I laid on his bed, scrolling through my phone.

I jumped when Caleb let out a loud groan then shut off his computer, pulling his headphones off. He got up and walked to the bed, laying right on top of me,

"You're crushing me" I hit his back, "You're 6 foot and I am 5'2! Get off"

Caleb laughed and rolled off my body, allowing me to gain my breath back. I rolled to face Caleb, already finding him facing me. He smiled and we just kinda looked at each other.

Caleb started leaning forward, our faces centimeters apart. I took a breath right as I felt his lips hit mine.

We pulled away and just looked at each other. I don't know what that was. I don't know how I felt about that,

"Kemper, I-" he started but was cut off by Hunter walking in,

"Are you all ready?"

I nodded and got up, grabbing my backpack that had my clothes in it,

"Why are you taking your bag?" Hunter questioned, Caleb gaining interest,

"I might stay the night at Logan's" I shrugged. Caleb's shoulders dropped and I knew he was beating himself up. But that kiss was way unexpected and I don't know how I feel. I'm confused.

I sat in the front seat of Hunter's car as we drove to Logan's. Logan, Caleb, and I all live pretty close to each other. Hunter lives like eight blocks away from me- the opposite direction of Caleb and Logan's. It was quiet in the car. Usually, Caleb and I would be talking up a storm,

"Uh, do you want the radio?" Hunter coughed, leaning forward and turning the knob, an Eminem song coming through the speakers.

We pulled into Logan's and Caleb got out, slamming the back door. Was he mad at me?

"Hey" Hunter gently touched my arm, "What's going on? Did you all fight?"

I sighed,

"He kissed me right before you got there"

Hunters eyed widened, then softened,

"So why's he mad?"

"I guess because I've basically dismissed it" I shrugged, "It's just- I don't know how I feel about it"

"I'm sorry Kemps" Hunter spoke, "You can stay the night at mine if you want. I have a feeling Caleb will want to stay here"

"Thanks Hunts"

Hunter nodded and leaned over the console, hugging me,

"Let's get inside"

****

Caleb refused to talk to me. I don't know why though. He kissed me. I didn't kiss him. I didn't like this. Caleb's my best friend and I hated he's upset. I couldn't just give in though. I didn't know how I felt about the kiss, I still don't. The thoughts of possibly seeing Caleb as more than a friend didn't happen until everyone said something on my birthday.

Logan kept looking between us, eyeing us until he looked to Hunter for an answer. Hunter shrugged, not wanting to make it a big deal right here,

"I think I'm going to head home" Hunter stood, "Kemps, want to stay the night at mine?"

I nodded and stood up. My bag was still in Hunter's car. My plan was to stay with either him or Logan anyway tonight.

****

We got back to Hunter's, going up to his room quietly since Aunt Grace was asleep already.

I climbed under Hunter's covers as he grabbed his tv remote. He got in his bed too and turned on Netflix, picking Friends to watch.

I wasn't focused. I was thinking about if I had feelings for Caleb. This was just so complicated because Caleb's as close as family.

I finally rolled on my side and closed my eyes. I heard Hunter move around,

"It'll be okay Kemps" he whispered, "You'll figure this out"