seven

{ Kemper }

Not only did I have to go to the doctor's today, but I also had to see a therapist. I don't want to do it, but I know I need to.

Dad was rushing me. We were running a little late because he had to go to the studio first. Then he came back here to get me, but I was still asleep when he got home.

We were now in the car and on the way. I couldn't tell if my dad was mad at me or not. He looked mad but I think he was stressed.

We pulled into the parking lot of the doctor's office and Dad was basically dragging me in.

"Hi, my daughter has an appointment with Dr. Jenkins" Dad spoke as we checked in,

"Kemper Irwin?" The desk lady asked. Dad nodded then was handed a shitload of papers. So we took a seat and he began filling them all out while we waited.

He turned them in once he was done and sat back down next to me,

"You okay princess," he asked, kissing my head,

"Just nervous" I shrugged, "Am I gonna have to get shots?"

"I think so. But it'll be fine" Dad nodded. I sighed and tried to relax.

Soon a nurse opened the waiting room door and called me back. I stood and Dad and I walked with her to a room. She did my height and weight, took my temperature, and asked me some questions, then left telling us my doctor would be here soon.

Once the door was closed, Dad closed his eyes while I changed into the gown. He reopened them once I was seated on the bed.

There was a knock on the door and it opened, a female doctor walking in- Dr. Jenkins. She was my doctor before I moved. I haven't been to the doctor since I moved.

"Wow, you've gotten older" she smiled at me and then shook my dad's hand, "Okay Kemper, your dad filled me in on what happened with your mom so I'm not gonna ask about it. I'm just giving you a check up and a couple of shots you're overdue on," she told me.

She came to me and started checking my heart and lungs. She pushed around my stomach and neck then did a few other things,

"You look like you are doing much better since the hospital. A nurse is coming back in here and you'll get two shots then you can leave" she told us. My dad thanked her and she left.

I got redressed and we waited for the nurse to come back. I was nervous about the shots. All I was thinking about now was how Brian used to shoot drugs in me through shots,

"Kemper" my dad spoke, standing next to me and placing his hand on my shaking knee,

"Kemper, you have to calm down. They aren't going to drug you. These are just to make sure you don't get sick" he spoke,

"Doesn't mean I'm not thinking about it" I mumbled,

"I know Kemper" he sighed and sat on the table next to me as the door opened.

"Hi, honey. You're just getting two shots you missed today and that's it" the nurse told me and started wiping my arm. My heart was racing. Dad took my hand and kissed my head. I felt a pinch and then another and it was over.

After the doctor, we went straight to the therapist. I was more nervous about this appointment. I don't like to talk about how I feel and I don't want to talk about what happened. Telling it to the police was hard enough.

We walked into an office and sat across the desk from a lady,

"Hi. I'm Dr. Phelps. You must be Kemper" she spoke to me. I nodded and Dad grabbed my hand,

"And you're dad?" Dr. Phelps asked him,

"Yes ma'am. I'm Ashton" he shook her hand.

"Okay, Kemper, so what we're going to do is have Dad step out and you and I will talk. Then at the end, we will bring Dad back in" she explained. I nodded and Dad kissed my head before leaving.

The door shut and Dr. Phelps led us to sit on the couch instead of the chairs,

"So Kemper, can you tell me about yourself? Just basics like what you like to do, your favorite color, movie, tv show" she asked,

"I'm 14. I like to play soccer and basketball. I can also skateboard. I like yellow. My favorite movie is Pirates of the Caribbean and my favorite show is Vampire Diaries" I answered,

"That's cool" she smiled, "So you just moved back here with Dad. How long have your mom and dad been separated?"

"Two years. But it seems like longer. They started fighting before that. I didn't really know why until Dad and I came home one day and my mom had some guy over" I shrugged,

"That guy was your stepdad, Brian?" she asked and I nodded, shifting a little,

"Just relax. We won't go into detail with Brian today" she smiled softly. I nodded.

She asked a ton of more questions but finally, it was over and Dad came back in.

"So I think I want her on anxiety medication and anti-depressants" Dr. Phelps spoke and I looked down. I didn't like that there was something wrong with me. I didn't listen to what she said after. I just wanted to go home.

Dad stood and broke my trance. I stood and followed him out to the car,

"You okay?" he asked. He hadn't started the car yet. I just shrugged and I heard him sigh.

"You know, I was on those medications when I was a teenager," he told me, making me look at him, "It doesn't mean you're messed up or sick. It's just to help you until you can fully recover from what you went through. You won't be on it for the rest of your life. Maybe a couple of years but that's it"

"Okay," I mumbled. Dad smiled and kissed my head,

"How about we get some food because I am starving" he laughed and put the car in drive.