thirty

{ Kemper }

My mom's baby shower is today and I was supposed to go, but Dad got busy and can't take me. I even asked KayKay and my aunts and uncles, but nobody can take me.

"You really wanna go don't you?" Logan spoke up. The boys and I were hanging out at his house,

"I wanna go, not necessarily for my mom but for my little brother" I shrugged, "Plus I feel like she's going to hold this over me"

"Let's go" Hunter stood, "We will take you. Our parents aren't going to be home until super late. They won't even know"

I glanced at all of them and shook my head no,

"Sucks cause we are going" Logan got up and grabbed his keys.

****

After two hours in the car, we made it to my mom's house,

"You lived here?" Caleb asked as we got out of the car. I nodded. It wasn't the nicest house. It was small and bricks were chipped.

"Let's go" I breathed.

We walked inside and I could hear laughs right away. I sighed and walked around the corner, the boys following, finding my mom and her friends- her drug friends to be exact-

"Kemper" my mom gasped, "You brought the boys"

"Hi Aunt Jess" Caleb spoke. Hunter simply placed his hand on my back. He was now nervous being here and seeing both my mom and Brian. Logan was on edge too.

We took seats and listened as everyone talked. It was awkward. Then my mom was trying to tell them all about me. I furrowed my eyes as Hunter squeezed my hand. She was telling stories, but they were stories of me and my dad, not her and me.

"What are you going to name the new baby?" A lady asked. Logan nudged my arm as I watched my mom and Brian look at each other,

"Oliver"

I grinned. That was the name I picked,

"But Kemper's going to call him 'Ollie' I think"

I nodded, a smile still on my face.

****

I took the boys to what was my room, but when I walked in, it was no longer my room, but baby Ollie's. It looked as rough as it did when it lived in it. And it was still cold. There was no heat.

My bed was still against the wall along with my dresser. Now there was a crib in there as well and a changing mat on top of the dresser. So I guess me and Oliver are sharing a room if I ever stay over.

"He can't live like this" I panicked,

"Kemper calm down" Logan grabbed me as I walked around the room, the same safety hazards that were there when I lived here are still there,

"G-guys" I stuttered as Caleb hugged me,

"He'll be okay. Maybe they just haven't fixed it" he hugged me. I nodded just as my phone buzzed, a text from my dad coming through,

-messages-

Dad: [ Get your ass home. You are in so much trouble ]

————

I was going to be in big trouble and the boys too.

We out of the room and were almost out the door when I heard my name and stopped,

"Yeah, this kid will end up being Kemper's responsibility. She's gonna have to take care of her little brother. I don't want a kid to begin with. But this kid is what made her talk to me. Plus Brian and I going to jail again so he'll be in a foster home soon"

That was my mom. So she got pregnant just so she could get me back to hurt my dad and myself?

Hunter shot me a soft look then pulled me out of the house,

"You have to tell your dad about that"

I nodded and got in the car, all of us quiet for the ride home.

****

We got back to my house and everyone's cars were there. We were in huge trouble.

We walked in and found all of our dads glaring at us with arms crossed. Grace, Crystal, and Sierra sat off to the side. Usually, they calm the dads down,

"What the hell did you think you were doing!?" My dad yelled first, "You know how fucking dangerous it is for you to go there and to drag the boys in too. Kemper, they could have drugged you all, sold you all off. It's like you don't even remember getting kidnapped or what your life was like there!"

I looked down,

"Kemper didn't drag us there" Logan spoke up, "We suggested that we'd take her. We knew how much she wanted to be there"

"You want to be there?" Dad glared at me, "After everything!?"

Tears were falling from my eyes. My dad has never yelled at me like this,

"Fuck Kemper, do you want to be drugged and raped every day again!"

"Dad! Ollie's in danger!" I finally yelled,

"Who the fuck is Ollie?"

"That's gonna be my brother's name" I choked. Sierra got up and walked over, sitting next to me and holding me,

"She's right Uncle Ash" Caleb sighed,

"Yeah. Based on what we saw and what we heard, he's not going to be in a safe place" Hunter added.

Dad glanced at all of us then he took a big breath,

"Let's go guys" Michael spoke. I waved bye to them all and watched them leave, meaning it was just me and Dad now,

"Okay," he spoke slow, "Why will he be in danger?"

"His room is my old room, well it's our room- I think we're sharing. Dad, there's no heat or air in there. There's mold and the electric is bad. The light switch sparks any time you turn it on. And when we were leaving, Mom said something"

"What did she say?"

"She didn't even want a baby. She's just having him to get me close again. She's just going to ditch him on me when he's born" I sighed, "Dad, she's gonna do drugs again and go to jail. Then Ollie's going to be put into foster care since I'm not 18. I don't want that to happen"

"It won't baby. If this is happening, I promise he will not go to foster care. I'll take him in if we have to"

"I'm sorry I went Dad but now I'm glad I did"

"Look, I just worry about your safety. After everything you went through, I just pray to God you never go through another bad thing"

"Am I grounded?" I mumbled. Dad sucked in a breath,

"Yes, but it will be short" he kissed my head,

"I'm sorry"

"It's okay Kemper. Just please don't do it again"

I nodded and hugged him as he kissed my head,

"How do we make sure Ollie won't go to foster care?" I asked,

"Leave that to me. I'll start talking with lawyers and getting paperwork together for adopting. Let me talk to KayKay too. I don't know how well it will go if I'm going in as a single parent to adopt"
I nodded,

"I'm sorry for making you do this"

"Don't be. But if this happens, I am going to need your help"

"And I'll be the best helper"