nineteen

{ Kemper }

Even though it was Saturday, Dad had to go to the studio. We were leaving tomorrow to go to Australia so he had to get done what he would miss.

I was home by myself, working on this stupid essay. I decided that I was going to talk about my family and the abuse that my mom and Brian inflicted on me. I couldn't talk about the kidnapping- I just couldn't.

I sat at my desk and opened up my computer and got typing:

From the beginning, my life was different than most kids. My dad's job put me in the spotlight since I was young. Because of that, people thought I lived the perfect life. They did not see what happened behind the camera.

My mom and dad were married for ten years before they split. They always fought, though my dad tried to keep me from seeing that. They officially split when I was eleven when my mom cheated on my dad. My mom then married the man she cheated on my dad with, meaning Brian became my stepdad. A few months later, my mom moved me two hours away from my dad, aunts, uncles, and cousins.

I thought that maybe it was best. With my mom being away from my dad, it meant my dad could take time for himself and heal. My dad is my best friend. He always put me first. Even with his job, he made sure I was okay and taken care of.

After I moved with my mom and Brian, things got physical. My mom and Brian were constantly beating me, making me sell drugs for them, and making me buy drugs for them. They also started to drug me. I never once told my dad of this. He was healing from the trauma with my mom and I didn't want to hurt him. I kept it to myself.

One day at school, I had a seizure from the drugs that my mom and Brian had me on. That was when my dad found out. My dad was my hero, he always has been. He fought hard and he gained full custody.

Since then, I went through more trauma that I mentally am not able to comprehend. I've worked hard and I'm slowly becoming me again. I'm becoming the Kemper I was before life decided to turn on me.

My healing process has been tough, but I have an amazing support system. Apart from my dad, who is amazing, I have my grandma, my aunts and uncles, and my cousins who are all there for me. They do whatever to make sure I'm happy, healthy, and taken care of. I will always have them and I know that.

Those traumas and sad moments don't define who I am, but they made me stronger. My family has made me stronger. Those things will be in my past but they won't control my future. I'm stronger than those who hurt me.

I saved my work and closed my computer. It definitely wasn't done, but it was a start.

I got up from my desk and trekked downstairs to the kitchen just as my dad came through the door,

"Hi princess" he kissed my head with a sigh, "I'm sorry it's late. I didn't realize I had so much to do"

I looked over at the clock. It was already 6 pm.

"It's okay Dad" I assured, but he sighed,

"What did you eat today?" He asked as he opened the fridge. I stayed silent, debating to lie or not,

"Kemper Anne! You have to eat" he spun around. I felt bad. I've disappointed him. He's just wanting me to get better,

"I'm sorry" I spoke, "I was writing my essay and I just got distracted"

"Okay," he huffed, "How about we order a pizza. We leave tomorrow and I don't want to have to throw away leftovers"

"With cheese bread?" I puppy-dog faced it,

"With cheese bread" Dad laughed, grabbing his phone, "Go make sure you're packed" he shooed me off with a laugh.

< next morning >

I groaned but got out of bed and got dressed. I did a double-check of everything and grabbed my phone, ready to go-

-Instagram-

liked by ashtonirwin and 2,121 others📍: lax@kemperirwin: see you soon Aussie 🇦🇺🦘^@anneirwin: I can't wait to see my grandbaby ☺️   ^@ashtonirwin: can't wait to see you too Mum😂🙄      ^@anneirwin: oh hush Ashton

📍: lax
@kemperirwin: see you soon Aussie 🇦🇺🦘
^@anneirwin: I can't wait to see my grandbaby ☺️
   ^@ashtonirwin: can't wait to see you too Mum😂🙄
      ^@anneirwin: oh hush Ashton. You know I can't wait to see you too

————

*****

We landed in Australia and I was full of excitement. I couldn't wait to see my grandma. I haven't seen her in a couple of years. My mom never allowed me to go to Australia and she hardly let me around Dad and his family.

Dad held my backpack as we navigated to baggage claim. Grandma said that's where she was.

Dad grabbed our bags and we looked around. I finally spotted my grandma,

"Oh my goodness" she hugged me tight, "Oh honey I was so worried about you"

"I'm okay" I promised as she pulled away,

"Oh I missed you" she smiled,

"I'm here to Mum" I heard Dad laugh,

"Oh hush. You know the grandkids come first" Grandma teased then hugged Dad, "Let's get out of here and let you two go get some sleep"

"Thank god! I'm so tired"