thirty-two

{ Kemper }

"Good morning" I heard as I slowly woke up, "Merry Christmas" my dad spoke, sitting on my bed. He kissed my head and pushed my baby hairs out of my face,

"Merry Christmas" I croaked out. I saw him frown as he felt my head,

"You're burning up" he sighed, "Do you want to come downstairs or just stay here? We can do presents later if you want"

"I'll come down. I need medicine"

He nodded and stood, waiting for me to get up. I pouted and held my arms up. Dad chuckled and picked me up and carried me downstairs, laying me on the couch before disappearing to get me medicine.

"Hi sweetheart" Grandma sat down, 'I'm sorry you're sick"

"It's my fault. I shouldn't have gone to my mom's" I sighed, "The boys are sick too"

"That's not your fault honey"

I shrugged and Dad came back with water and some pills. I took them and sat up a little as Lauren and Harry came into the room. Grandma grabbed a blanket for me and made sure I was warm before moving to sit with Harry.

Dad passed presents out. I had the biggest pile considering my dad still does Santa for me. He signs them as Santa and everything. It's sweet. And he never puts them out early. He still waits until I'm asleep.

I slowly grabbed one and slowly opened it. I felt like shit so I was moving slow. I finally got it opened and saw the new Vans I had asked for,

"Thanks Dad" I smiled,

"I didn't get it. Santa did!" he yelled making us all laugh.

I continued opening Santa/my dad's presents and got new Airpods (since Duke ate mine when I stayed at Hunter's), a new skateboard with new wheels and grip, and some clothes. Lauren got me a whole new set of makeup. Grandma got me a bunch of clothes and some stuff for my room. And Harry got me gift cards.

Once everybody had opened everything, Grandma and Lauren went to make breakfast, Harry cleaned up the trash, and Dad sat down with me,

"You can go back upstairs if you don't feel good sweetie" he kissed my head,

"I'm fine" I nodded, "Could you get me a screwdriver? I want to change my wheels and stuff out"

Dad nodded and went and grabbed one, then sat with me as I did my skateboard.

****

The boys, their parents, and grandparents all showed up at my house around 3:00. KayKay was here too. The boys and I were laying on the couch considering we all had the flu. Our parents were catering to our every need.

"I am miserable" Hunter whined as our dad's walked in,

"You kids look amazing" Michael laughed,

"Shut. Up" Logan groaned,

"Why don't you guys go up to Kemper's room? You will be more comfortable there" Dad suggested. We nodded and stood, heading towards the stairs before we were stopped,

"Medicine first" Sierra popped in, handing all four of us pills before sending us on our way.

We settled in my bed with Polar Express on. I was cuddled with Hunter. Although there was a mutual attraction between us, we decided we'd be friends. It's too weird to date someone who feels like your brother.

"At least we don't have to listen to our dad's talk music the whole time" Caleb laughed,

"Or our mom's gossip to our grandma's about all the crazy mom's at our school" Hunter smiled,

"That's kinda enjoyable" I shrugged,

"Okay whatever" Logan shook his head, "Now shut up so I can sleep"

****

Dad was still downstairs cleaning up now that everyone had left. I was laying in his bed with KayKay. She wasn't staying the night, just keeping me company,

"So" she spoke, sitting up some, "I got some mail the other day and it was from the people who do all the stuff with adoptions and foster care"

I was now intrigued,

"I know your dad was already approved, but I wanted you to know that I got approved too"

My smile grew,

"I'm not doing this just for Ollie, but I did it for you too. I know we haven't known each other for too long but I love you like you're mine. I was hoping that maybe one day, I could adopt you too"

I couldn't stop smiling,

"I'd love that"

KayKay leaned forward and hugged me tight,

"I guess you told her" Dad broke our hug apart. I nodded,

"We can't do anything until we know for sure what's happening to your mom and brother" he finished,

"I know" I nodded, "But I know KayKay will adopt me. She's been in my life for a few months and she's a better mom than mine ever was"