twenty-five

{ Kemper }

"So you and Caleb are all good now?" Hunter asked as we sat at the top of the halfpipe at the skate park. Logan and Caleb were skating around still,

"Yeah. He called and we talked" I nodded,

"That's good. It was hard seeing you all not talking to each other" he nudged my arm, "Logan said Caleb was never actually mad at you. He was mad at himself"

"That's what Caleb told me" I laughed lightly as the other two boys made their way to us.

We left the skate park and climbed into Logan's car and went to get ice cream, but that was short-lived when my dad texted me:

-messages-

Dad: [ I know you're hanging
out with the boys but I
need you home ]

[ okay. Be home soon ]

————

"Logan, my dad needs me home"

"Okay. Let's go then" he nodded as we all got back in the car.

****

"Dad!" I called walking through the house, stopping in the kitchen where I found him at the table with a bunch of papers in front of him. He looked stressed. He kept running his hands down his face and through his hair.

I dropped my board, making him look up and give me a look,

"Sorry" I mumbled,

"It's fine" he waved it off, "Sit down please"

"Am I in trouble?" I asked cautiously,

"No princess" he laughed and pushed a few papers away, "Honey, we have a meeting today with some lawyers"

He was serious so I knew this was important. He had no smile what so ever,

"Kemper, your mom is trying to get custody again"

"No!" I stood, my hands hitting the table, "Dad I don't want to go with her"

"I know. I promise I will do whatever I can to make sure your mom doesn't get you" he assured and stood, "Go get ready. We need to leave soon"

I ran up to my room and shut my door, walking over to my closet. I sighed and opened it, finding a pair of jeans and a decent shirt. I quickly changed and brushed my hair before sitting on my bed for a minute.

Then it hit me. My abusive mother was trying to take me from my dad... again.

I could feel my breathing getting heavy. I couldn't go through what I did living with my mom again. I was panicking. I suddenly couldn't breathe.

The knock on the door grabbed my attention. It opened and I was thankful when Dad saw me,

"You're okay" he rushed, pulling my head to his chest so I could hear his heartbeat, "I need you to breathe for my baby"

I nodded and tried calming my breathing, eventually getting it even with my father's,

"I know this sucks Kemper, but as I promised, I will do everything I can"

I nodded again and hugged him before pulling back,

"Let's go"

****

We pulled up to the office complex where the lawyer is. We got out and walked inside. I was nervous.

Dad guided me into an office where we both sat. I just sat there for a while not really paying attention while Dad and the lawyer and handled the paperwork stuff. I wasn't really needed but I knew I had to be here.

"Kemper, how are you feeling?" the lawyer grabbed my attention,

"I don't want to go with my mom" I stated,

"How is it looking? There's no chance right?" Dad questioned. I watched the lawyer sigh,

"I believe the court is in your favor, however, somehow Jessica got her hands on some papers saying that she is a fit mom and that she never did anything to Kemper"

I looked at my Dad who's jaw was clenched,

"But we will fight this. You'll have your daughter"

****

Dad was angry just about the rest of the day. He was slamming things and cussing like crazy. He was on the phone talking to my grandma earlier just yelling and crying about my mom trying to get me back. 

I felt bad for him. He went through the process of losing me before and I can't imagine him going through it twice. Now, he knows that I was being abused and I think he's terrified. I'm his little girl. He doesn't want me to be hurt.

After my shower, I cautiously walked downstairs. Dad was sitting on the couch on his phone. I made my way over and sat next to him, leaning my head on his shoulder,

"Who you talking to?" I asked being nosey after seeing the long text messages,

"Lawyer. We have a court date next week"

I hummed but nodded,

"You'll be sitting separate from me and your mom"

"I'm going to talk right?"

"You are. You get an opinion"

"Then my opinion is that I should get to stay with you" I smiled. Dad chuckled and wrapped an arm around me and dropped his phone,

"That's all I hope happens"