two.

The days have been going by so quickly that I would lose track of them

           The days have been going by so quickly that I would lose track of them. Was it really Wednesday? Feels like a Friday. It'd been like that since I was a kid. The days never really mattered, because the same thing happened over and over again. The same routine. It never mattered, because there wasn't anything exciting to live for. What was the point of keeping track of the days when there was nothing really to count on.

The sound of the bell ringing caused Yazmin to jump out of her thoughts. She looked around the room and watched as the students around her collected their belongings and sped out of the classroom.

Quickly, she closed her journal and tucked it inside of her binder.

"Need my notes again?"

Looking up, she smiled at the redheaded young girl in front of her. Her dark red curls framed her angelic face as she stared down at Yazmin patiently. Her wide green eyes gleaming with amusement.

"Yes, please," Yazmin sighed. Grabbing her tote bag, she stood and followed her only friend, Penny out of the classroom.

The two had met at the private school they'd gone to and had been friends ever since. Growing up, Yazmin was always seen as different in her world. She stood out in mostly all of the schools she'd gone to, being one of the only black people there.

Penny and Yazmin had many things in common when it came to being seen as different, but yet they were so different.

"You should give that journal a break. I don't know how your hand hasn't cramped up yet."

"If I don't write then I'm gonna end up knocking someone's head off their shoulders."

"Damn," Penny looked at her and chuckled. Leaning against the locker, she watched as Yazmin unlocked her locker and grabbed her leather jacket to place over her burgundy uniform vest.

She couldn't live without her journal. She had about ten of them and had been writing, and drawing in them since she could form sentences. It was the best way to communicate her thoughts and put them out if she couldn't talk to anyone.

God forbid she said anything to her parents about her troubles. They either wouldn't care or would shun her for feeling the way that she did.

There wasn't enough time for you to be in your emotions when you had a role and an image to live up to.

"I hate this school. Everyone moves like robots everyday."

"Including you," Yazmin noted.

"I'm on my period. What's his excuse?" Penny pointed to a random guy.

Yazmin hiked her bag over her shoulder and smiled as Penny linked her arms around Yazmin's. Having anxiety and being in a high school filled with students was never a great combination. Yazmin didn't experience anxiety like Penny did. She was placed in different activities as a child and was forced to get out of her comfort zones. Her parents did everything they could to give her a head start. And that started with having experience and being able to be a leader without the care from others.