twenty nine

The sound of Sean's alarm caused him to jump out of his slumber. He looked around and down at his phone which was not too far from him. He groaned with annoyance when he noticed that he forgot to charge his phone. He'd been up all night doing his homework with the help of Nyla. He had a lot of catching up to do since he was so distracted when it came to his education.

But the last thing he wanted was to be held a year back because he wasn't able to balance work and school. He'd hate to see his friends graduate and go on with their lives whilst he was stuck as a senior.

Again.

Once he placed his phone onto the charger, he slipped out of his bed and made his way out of his room. Fortunately, the washroom was empty and he was able to do his routine without having to work around his brother.

He nodded his head to the music that he heard in his brother's room. They shared the same music taste.

He ran his hands over his clean face and over his hair which was continuing to grow out. Grabbing his brush, he brushed down his hair a few times before he exited the washroom.

A smile lit up on his face at the scent of bacon coming from downstairs. He knew that his mother was probably home from a late night shift and made breakfast. That was usually part of her routine before she went to get some rest.

Sean entered his room and decided to wear something simple. He wasn't too much of an extravagant guy. He liked nice things, but it was once in a while when he was able to buy them. He'd pick a simple outfit over a flashy one any day.

He slipped on a white t-shirt with cargo shorts and new Air Forces that he'd gotten not too long ago. He made sure that he sprayed himself with cologne before he grabbed his belongings and headed down to the kitchen.

Immediately, he was welcomed by the amazing scent of his mother's food.

The short woman moved swiftly around the kitchen with a pan in her hand. She had changed out of her scrubs and into pajamas. She placed the bacon from the pan onto the three bagels that were laid out in front of her.

"Good morning, Mama." He kissed her cheek and looked down at the bagels in front of him.

"Good morning, baby. How'd you sleep?"

"I slept alright. Didn't get much sleep."

"Yeah, your dad said he heard you laughing all night on the phone."

Sean chuckled and shook his head. His cheeks raised towards his eyes and turned to a tinge of red. He didn't care that he didn't get much sleep. As long as he was able to talk to Nyla, then he was good. It was the first time that they'd been on the phone by themselves and she was a great conversationalist. Even though he wasn't and was nervous on top of that, she was able to start any conversation with him. Even if it was a random topic, she still brought it up. And he loved that.

"Are these for me?" He smirked.

Janet nudged him and rolled her eyes with a smile. "No, this is yours." She handed him the bacon egg sandwich. "This is mine."

He knew that the bagel with a bunch of sriracha sauce and avocados was his mother's, and the one without cheese was his brother's.

"This bad boy is mine." She bit into it and smiled with a nod of approval.

Sean took a bite of his own and nodded as well. "It tastes good every time."

"What's cookin' down here?" Jared called out as he skipped down the stairs and entered the kitchen. He kissed his mother's cheek and grabbed his sandwich.