"Why cant you just remember?"

Read part 1

As Colby lay awake, hand over his stomach the other under his head. He thought about what Sam had said, the way he had said it, the feeling in Colbys stomach when he said it.

That feeling hadn't gone away when he opened the front door, or had dinner, gone for a shower, nothing. He was utterly in love with Sam and being here was just the wrong thing, he didn't want Sam to fall back into his old ways, the hurt, frail sam he was, he wanted the now Sam to be strong.

"Mom I've gotta go."

"Why honey? You only just got here."

"Sam said some things and I just know I shouldn't be here, I can't jeopardise his future by being here. I don't want him to see me and get anything back, I'm not saying he will. But I don't want to take that chance, he deserves a good life, not me." Colby yelled over the trunk of his car as he stuffed his stuff in, his mom watching from the balcony, coffee in hand and loving expression on his face.

"You still love him don't you?"

"Yea I do, and this.. this trip just proved that he doesn't want to love me like I do, he's happy and successful and I don't want to ruin that shit for him.. not again."

"I know you mean well love but maybe it's not what your thinking, maybe he doesn't think that."

"I know that mom, he was in the same house with me yesterday and we had a genuine conversation and all I could think of was how much I affected him, how much I hurt him. I couldn't do that to him again, I'm so in love with him still and it hurts mom."

She held her arms out for him as he walked into them, rubbing his back supportively. He sighed and buried his face into her shoulder, he loved his mom.

"Just think about it, come back when your ready." She kissed his cheek and squeezed his arm shortly before he smiled and hopped into his car.

*********

Sams POV
That was Colby.. the Colby. He was in my house, sitting on my chairs, talking to me, apologising, listening..

Flopping down on the couch, I close my eyes and listen to the sound of silence outside the house, a door closing in the distance made me open my eyes.

"You still love him don't you?"

Standing up, I peer out the window at the situation across the house, it was colby packing several different things into the back of his car.

"Yea I do, and this.. this trip just proved that he doesn't want to love me like I do, he's happy and successful and I don't want to ruin that shit for him.. not again."

Holding my breath, as if he could hear me, I watch the situation.

"I know you mean well love but maybe it's not what your thinking, maybe he doesn't think that."

Yes your right Marilyn, what if I'm just a big hypocrite and what I said wasn't how I felt. What if I was just saying it, to stop myself from kissing him?

"I know that mom, he was in the same house with me yesterday and we had a genuine conversation and all I could think of was how much I affected him, how much I hurt him. I couldn't do that to him again, I'm so in love with him still and it hurts mom."

He listened, he actually listened to me. Something he hadn't done since high school. Walking to the door, I open it slightly as Marilyn glances over at me, putting my finger to my lips she nods subtly and looks back at Colby.

"Just think about it, come back when your ready."

I watched as he got in his car and drove off, the brunette gone, once more.

"How much did you hear?"

"About when he confessed he was in love with me." I chuckled slightly as she walked across the lawn to me, her coffee still steaming.

"He left because he thinks you don't remember him or something? He was muttering in his sleep, does it often. I tend to-"

"Close his door of stuff a bunch of marshmallows into his mouth, take a photo and then slam his door." I casually spat out as she laughed and shook her head.

"You love him?"

"Yea I do."

"Told ya."

********

No ones POV

Sam was lying down on the couch, staring at the ceiling, contemplating whether to call him or not. Whereas Colby was speeding down the road, determined.

"I wonder if I should?" Holding up his phone, he hovered over the contact and sighed, his phone getting placed back on his chest.

"No, I'm gonna do it."

Pressing the contact, he held it to his ear and waited. A ringing beside him made his eyebrows raise. He leaned over and saw Colbys phone on the chair, vibrating almost off it.

"Holy shit."

A knock at the door, scared him as he grabbed the phone. Opening the door, he almost dropped the phone to the ground.

"I-I left my phone."

Colby stuttered out embarrassed as sam stood with it in his hand, he reached out and gave it to him.

"Oh thanks, anyway, I'm going back to LA, job and all.. sorry for disturbing you and talking and.. well yea."

"Your um.. your leaving?" Sam called as Colby started to walk away.

"Yea, sorry i really wasn't meant to come over here and talk to you the other day.."

"Do you regret it?"

"Regret what?"

"Loving me?"

Colby raised his eyebrows as he stepped back onto the platform. "I-what?"

"I overhead the conversation earlier."

"Oh."

Sam nodded and looked down at his feet.
"No, I didn't regret it then, I don't regret it now. I'd do anything for you Sam.."

He smiled and put his phone in his back pocket.

"Don't leave."

"Sorry I um.."

"Don't leave."

"You shouldn't remember me sam, I'm bad for you, I was bad for you."

"Yes but now we're older. We're smarter, not stupid." Sam stepped down off the platform and towards Colby.

"But-"

"I'm in love with you too colbs. I've been thinking about what you said outside and I just can't stop because I always knew that-"

Colby dropped his keys and smashed their lips together, he furrowed his eyebrows as the feeling of Sam on him made his heart flutter. The way his fingers found their way into Sams hair, the way Sams hands found his face. The perfect puzzle, two sides of the same coin.

"Don't leave."

"Make me stay."

Sam grabbed his collar and dragged him into the house, determination on his breathe and Colby on his lips.

It was definite now, Sam remembered colby, he remembered all of Colby..