•overheard•

Summary: Colby walked past Sams room when he was on the phone and heard things he didn't think could be true.

"Yea I'll just go up and get the controller man!" Colby yelled back at Jake who was throwing pillows at him and telling him to hurry up. "Impatient bitch." He joked as another pillow soared past his head.

Landing on the top step, he overheard somebody talking quite softly but ignored it as he walked through the sitting area, walking past Sams room, he noticed the door was half open and Sam was sitting on his bed with his hands on his head.

Going to open the door and ask what's wrong, he heard somebody else? No, he's alone in there.

"I know mom."

He's on the phone, stopping at the corner, he listened even though he knew he wasn't meant to.

"I wanna cry, I wanna learn to love mom. Another love, that's where he is, he's happy and I couldn't be happier for him, even when I just want him."

Who's he talking about?

"Being in love is hard, but he sang along to another heart. I wanna cry, I wanna fall in love but he's onto another love and I can't stop that mom. I don't know what to do, he's my best friend and I don't want him to think any less of me. What do I do? It's Colby mom."

Holding his breathe, he listened to the short sniffles coming from him as his eyes stayed trained on the floor.

"He's in love with the concept as if she's all that he's ever imagined. I don't believe it no more, I won't tell him though. Because I always imagined, it's easier if he thinks he's got the best person with him. I don't think he even knows me anymore."

Colbys heart dropped as he opened the door a bit more, Sam didn't move, just continued to talk to his mom as Colby stood in the doorway.

"So much for trying to keep my feelings away. But I remember, how we touched like we knew what we wanted, but then I knew he never liked me, he was straight and in a relationship and I was delirious and lonely, it was all my fault."

Colby decided to step in then, but his body ignored his silent pleads and the desperation rolling off him, as the hallway draft picked up slightly as it does in the night.

"I love him mom and he's with somebody else and the last time I thought he felt the same it almost killed me to watch him choose her, despite me not telling him anything."

Okay he had to leave now, making his exit, his foot accidentally hit the door as he left, he heard Sams bed squeak and he mentally braved himself if Sam started yelling.

"Colby?"

Turning around, he plastered a smile on his face.

"Yea?"

"You going to bed already?"

"Oh uh no, I'm getting a controller for me and Jake." He pointed towards his room and Sam nodded, closing his door and leaving Colby alone.

Picking up the controller, he stopped for a second, took a deep breathe and left the room, passing Sams closed door. He thought about what to say, if he should say something but thought against it...

He overheard something he shouldn't have, it was his fault. He was gonna have to deal with it.

"What took you so long?" Jake groaned as Colby sat down, Colby simply looked at the stairs and shook his head, persuading himself not to go back upstairs.

"Nothing, just overheard something."