Chapter 3

"Where are you, Tom?" she asked in a cheerful voice as her words suddenly echoed through his head.
"What?" Thomas responded curiously as he jogged alongside Newt, sweat running down his back and flicking his brown eyes around the glade for the blue eyed beauty.

"Where are you? Like, in the glade?" Teresa asked again, with a slight laugh.
He absolutely loved the sound of her laugh. It was like soft music to his ears, sounding at its very own frequency.

He looked around, as if it were possible, he would see her pop out of thin air.
"I'm heading towards the map room with Newt," he told her with a small smile, her sweet voice soothing him from a long day of running. "Why?"

Newt's head snapped to Thomas as he saw him smile at the ground and smirked knowingly at his unaware lovestruck friend who was too focused on his mind conversation with Teresa to notice him staring. Newt shook his head with a snicker and continued walking alongside Thomas.

"So I can imagine that I'm there with you, standing next to you, holding your hand, telling you that I miss you. Repeatedly." she sighed fondly with a small smile as she absently roamed the glade, greeting some of the boy Gladers with a wave.

Thomas closed his eyes at the sound of her mesmerising words. It was all so amazing, this thing that they had of private communication just between the two of them. Telepathy.

"Do you have to enter the maze again?" Teresa hesitantly asked, worried about his safety and drawn to him for some unknown reason. The change of subject surprised him as her words took him a few seconds to process.
"Yeah. To try to find a way out of this place, for all of us" Thomas answered as he passed Frypan and greeted him with a nod.

It was silent in his head for a while until she meekly spoke "Tom, nothing can ever happen to you."
He paused in his steps and his expression softened. The same protective thought sprung also into his mind but for her.
"And nothing can ever happen to you either." Thomas fired back with determination.

"I won't survive it. Better me than you." Teresa muttered with a slight crack in her voice.
"Neither will I. That will never happen, Teresa." He murmured, protectively with full intention. There was no life of his worth living in which she didn't survive. It was the truth and he couldn't deny it, felt it wholeheartedly.

There was silence again in his head as they both processed each other's words and took some sort of comfort. Knowing they had each other.

"I want you to know everyone is still staring at me for being a girl" she annoyingly spoke, trying to lighten up the ominous mood with her whine. Thomas chuckled as he unknowingly had a small smile growing on his face and proceeded to turn his head, searching for beautiful blue eyes that sparkle with delight as they meet his.

"Don't worry, they'll get used to you. Your one of us now." He reassured as he spotted a glimpse of raven hair near the lookout treehouse, swaying away in the wind. He stared in her direction and craned his neck up, wanting to see her angelic face. She was so beautiful, dark raven hair with icy blue eyes and pink lips.

"I'll see you later, Tom. It looks like your busy, behind you." Teresa giggled as she spotted him and tried to barely contain her laugh, making Thomas smile. He felt a slight tap on his shoulder as he turned around and became face to face with the amused faces of his best friends, Minho and Newt. He felt heat rise on his cheeks as he tried to force down his smile and back to runner mode.

Thomas stirred awake, glassy brown eyes stared at the wooden ceiling with an undertone of unshed tears as the constant ache in his chest remained. He was confused and restless, his hand rubbed his face tiredly and wiped any leaked tears during the nap.

At least it wasn't a nightmare this time. So why did this blissful dream of a past memory hurt more? She was gone and there was nothing he could do. No matter how much he wished.

Author's Note: Please do comment what you think so far of the story. It really helps motivate me by hearing your thoughts. I'm hoping to update soon :)