Forty

Noah growled, "You know I hate Sebastian," as Mark, Bryce, and James followed me toward the grand entrance of a colossal mansion.

"I hate him too," I admitted, "But I can tell he's trying to be nicer."

'You think that's being nice?' Noah snapped at me.

'Just open the door and go inside already wimp,' Mark growled, nudging Noah forward.

It was my first party ever. Remember that kid, Jacob, who kicked me in the ribs? This was his house. His parents were loaded because they were big-time movie producers, currently on a business trip to Maui for a film, leaving Jacob's big brother Garrett in charge.

Garrett was supposed to look after Jacob and his younger twin brothers, Aiden and Asher, but Jacob had a brawl with his big brother, and Garrett had left home for the day to have drinks with his buddies at a local bar in Hollywood.

As we entered, the rowdy music abruptly silenced, and you could hear someone's alcohol cup hit the floor.

"It's the super-kids from the video!" Jacob shouted from the background, and the music started playing again.

"See, they love us," Mark muttered in my ear, giving me a reassuring pat before blending into the crowd.

"James!" Claire called my name, waving me over to where Sarah and she were standing. I approached her and slid my arms around her torso.

"Hey, babe," I whispered, holding her close. "Are you doing superhero work tonight?" she asked, looking up at me, our eyes locking.

"I think so," I replied, "But we still haven't talked to Henry about El señor de Los Tigre's son," I said, running my fingers along her back. The front door swung open, and Derek entered the room, panicking as the music died and everyone's attention turned to him.

"James, you'll never guess what Max did?" he announced, pushing through the intoxicated students into the living room with Noah and me. It was about to hit me like a ton of bricks.

"What now?" I groaned, reluctantly leaving the couch next to Claire and Sarah. Someone turned on the news, and an image of Henry hanging from the side of the town hall building flashed on the screen. My jaw dropped as I stared at the shocking sight.

"Max has Henry this time," Derek declared.

"You're fucking kidding," Noah cursed. I suddenly felt a pit in my stomach, and I was sure everyone else did. It hit too close to home, almost like déjà vu.

"I'm going after him," I declared, breaking free from Claire's embrace. "It has to be me."

"It's a bloody trap, James," Noah warned. I knew it was a trap, but Henry was in trouble, and I felt responsible. I rushed past Derek, pushed through the crowd outside the mansion, and took off into the sky, heading towards the town hall.

The cool night air rushed past me as I soared through the city, my heart pounding. I knew Noah was right—it was undoubtedly a trap set by Max, our arch-nemesis. But I couldn't shake the feeling of responsibility for Henry's safety. He was my uncle, and I couldn't leave him hanging in a dire situation.

As I approached the town hall building, I could see Henry dangling from a precarious position high above the ground. Panic surged through me, but I forced myself to stay focused. I had to be smart about this, not just rush in unthinkingly.

I landed on a nearby rooftop, hidden from view, and took a moment to assess the situation. Max was nowhere to be seen, which only added to the unease. It was just Henry struggling to maintain his grip on the ledge.

I pulled out my communicator and spoke into it quietly, making sure not to attract any attention. "Noah, Derek, I'm at the town hall. Henry's in trouble. I need backup."

Noah's voice crackled through the comms. "James, we're on our way. Be careful, mate. We don't know what Max has planned."

I nodded to myself, understanding the risks involved. I couldn't afford to wait for backup, not with Henry's life hanging in the balance. Taking a deep breath, I activated my super-speed and raced across the rooftops, closing the distance between me and Henry.

"I knew you'd show up, James," Max scowled, spitting off the side of the skyscraper. We were perched high above the city, the wind gusting around us. "You just can't resist, can you?"

I clenched my fists, determined. "Let Henry go," I shouted. Henry looked worse for wear, his cheeks and nose red from more than just the chill and his tangled hair billowing in the wind.

"You're not a bloody superhero, James," Max scoffed, rolling his eyes. "Why don't you quit and head back home?"

I may not have been a superhero yet, but I was damn well going to try my best to be one. "Untie Henry, Max, and put him on the ground," I demanded. Max shot me a defiant look before shoving Henry off the side of the building.

"If you insist." Max raised an eyebrow, using his telekinesis to keep Henry from plummeting to the ground below. The onlookers from the police department watched anxiously from the street. Max swiftly removed the zip ties from Henry's wrists, allowing him to dangle precariously over a lower ledge of the ten-story building.

"Please, Max, don't let me fall!" Henry pleaded.

Max chuckled darkly. "Long live the king," he taunted, his fingers gripping Henry's wrist with an eerie sense of control as Henry struggled to hold onto the balcony's edge.

"One-two-three... four-five... six..."

"James, it's a trap!" Henry's voice trembled as he fought to maintain his grip, dangling over the abyss. Panic filled his eyes, and I couldn't fathom what he meant. Was I in danger?

I swooped closer to Henry, the wind whipping around us, gaining speed. Max remained aloof, his cocky smirk never faltering as I grabbed hold of Henry and pulled him to safety. But just as I did, my heart sank as I saw Alexander step forward, holding Henry's handgun.

"I knew you'd be trouble, James," Alexander yelled, aiming the gun not at Max but at my chest. A bullet whizzed through the air, piercing my stomach in a searing flash of pain, and then we fell.

Down.

Down.

Down.

I drifted in and out of consciousness, watching my uncle plummet from the sky like a bullet. I descended rapidly, too, my powers suddenly gone. Max, appearing beneath us, caught Henry, his body weightless in Max's grasp. Meanwhile, I slammed into the ground, choking on dirt and debris that filled my lungs. My vision blurred as Max reappeared beside me, holding his half-conscious uncle over his shoulder.

"Max, whatever you're planning, don't do it. You're better than this. You're better than Alexander," I gasped, the pain in my stomach intensifying. I wasn't healing anymore, and I wasn't bulletproof. This had become a terrible idea, but I couldn't abandon my mission, even if I wanted to.

"Shut up," Max snapped, his foot digging into my sore ribs. "I don't do this because I have to. I do it because I damn well want to, James. Can't you see?"

He kicked my side again, causing me to wince in agony and cough up more dust. "Max," I scolded him. "You're not the villain here. I know what Alex did to you, what he's still doing to you. You don't have to go down this path." Max dug his foot into my ribs again, then kicked dirt near my shoulder, nearly suffocating me.

"You ever pull a stunt like this again, and I won't hesitate to kill you," Max growled. He pressed his foot hard against my ribs, and then, with one final brutal strike to my temple, everything went dark while Max, Alexander, and Henry disappeared.