CHAPTER 13: TELLING THE TRUTH

It took me a minute to fall asleep, but when I did it didn't last long. I felt like I was trapped with Charlie pushing himself against me all over again. I jolted awake breathing heavily. I waited trying to calm myself back down, but it wasn't working. I stared out the window until I calmed down. I counted stars and when that didn't work I studied for my test and did homework. The time went by faster than I would've liked. The rest of the weekend went by, Mom went back home and I studied. It felt like I didn't have enough time to get all the information I needed. I got dressed and went for breakfast, I couldn't stomach much. I got to class and took my test, or tried to, everything slipped away from me. I did my best to get a B, which isn't the worst thing in the world, but it could've been better. I went to Max' classroom and did my job.

Max: You okay?

Ace: Yeah, I couldn't sleep last night

Max: Is everything okay?

Ace: Yeah, I had a test to study for

Max: How'd you do?

Ace: I got a B, I forgot how to calculate derivatives. Silly, I know.

Max: It's not, I'm sorry

Ace: It's not your problem.

I yawned

Max: Go home, I got this

Ace: No, I'm your TA, I'm going to do my job, and then I'm going to the library.

Max: You push yourself harder than you should.

Ace: You're right...

I tapped my pen on the table so he'd look at me.

That's your job

Ace: I'm okay

I kept grading papers, which reminded me I had to write a paper for his class. I added it to my list and finished doing my job. Two hours passed.

Ace: This stack has been marked and needs to be graded, this stack has to be marked.Your next TA can finish it if they're as good as me.

Max: None of them are

Ace: I gotta go, I'll see you tomorrow

I smiled at him and went to the library, did my job, went back to the dorm and tried to fall asleep. When I felt like I was being attacked, I woke up and started working on my paper. I followed this pattern for the next two days. During this time Max asked me if I wanted to spend thanksgiving  break with him. And as much I wanted too I also knew that my mom would want me to come home. So I had two options: lie to my mom and see my boyfriend or tell my boyfriend the truth and see my mom. I got a cup of coffee and went to class. With no sleep for the last three days, I was starting to look tired. It was a lot to handle, I got to my TA block and started grading papers.

Max: You okay?

Ace: You ask that question a lot.

Max: I worry about you

Ace: I know, and I'm fine, I swear I'm okay.

Max: Okay, any plans for this weekend?

It's Officially the second week of March, I knew what he was asking. And I wanted to spend time with him

Ace: Yeah actually, my boyfriend asked me to go away with him for the weekend so I'm doing that.

Max:He's a lucky guy

Ace: Yeah, I really care about him.

Max: Does he care about you?

Ace: I think so; he's made it clear he has good intentions and wants to be with me, that's all I really need.

Max: Is that what you want?

I don't like talking about us like he's someone else, it's weird.

Ace: I don't know what I want, he's older than me, I assume he knows what he wants and when he wants it. But I'm just enjoying my life with him while I can.

Max: You really care about him don't you

Ace: I have a deep regard for him,I don't know what the feeling is, but I feel safe with him.

Max: How does he feel about you?

Ace: I don't know, we haven't talked about a lot of things, I'm hoping we'll do that this weekend.

Max: I hope so too.

Ace: What are your plans for the weekend?

Max: I'm going to spend some time with my girlfriend. But we're going to get to know one another and I'm going to love on her.

Ace: That sounds nice

Max: I hope it will be, I haven't been able to spend as much time with her as I would like too.

Ace: Why's that?

Max: Age difference, not by much but our schedules don't always line up.

Ace: That must be tough

Max: It is, but I care for her

Ace:So you're not afraid of losing her

Max: I'm utterly terrified, but I trust her. And she trusts me so I have nothing to worry about.

I yawned and put my pen down.

Max: You haven't been sleeping

Ace: Papers to write, test to study for. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Max: Do you have too much on your workload?

Ace: No, and don't change anything to try and accommodate for something you don't understand.

Max: Then make me understand

Ace: I can't, there are just some things in life you can't explain.

Max: Okay, I won't pry.

A few hours passed

Ace: I gotta go, library

Max:Okay, I'll see you next week

Ace: Yes sir

I walked to the library with another cup of coffee and hit the books. I got the ones we didn't need anymore off the shelf and priced. Other books checked in and checked out. I did everything Ms.Williamson couldn't or didn't want to do. I wished her a good thanksgiving break and went to get my things. I went to Max' house, he picked me up and hugged me.

Ace: I missed you too

Max: I've been wanting to do this all week

Ace: If you shut the door, we can do a lot more

Max: I like the way you think