Chapter 11.9

Erica’s girlfriend had perfect nails, and for some reason that really upset Lucy.

Worse, when Lucy sat up a little more, she could see down towards the deck outside, and then she saw that Erica’s girlfriend had nice shoes as well, open-toed sandals which Lucy quite liked, and that in those sandals were perfectly painted toes.

Erica’s girlfriend had toenails that were tidier than Lucy ever managed to keep her hands, and that was just embarrassing.

Lucy felt awful. She didn’t know why she was making these comparisons, but for some reason she was.

She sat there feeling miserable, feeling inadequate, watching Erica and her girlfriend talk, and then, when Erica’s girlfriend lifted up her arm while she spoke, Lucy saw she also had a watch.

Lucy had never worn a watch. She had never even owned a watch. She just looked at her phone or a computer screen when she needed to know the time. She didn’t know about watches, or how you picked one, or what it was meant to do as a fashion piece, or what it matched with, or how you coordinated it. She didn’t know what an expensive watch was actually supposed to be for that made it better than the clock on a phone. Watches made her insecure, and always had, because they were a whole part of accessorising which she knew nothing about.

Watches made her insecure, just like polished toenails did, and Erica’s girlfriend had both. Erica’s girlfriend had perfect hands and perfect toes and perfectly tasteful jewellery. Everything about her was smart and professional and pretty, and that was just depressing. And annoying.

Erica’s girlfriend was smart and professional and pretty, and Lucy was an unemployed failure sitting on Erica’s couch, and the comparison between the two of them was just awful. The comparison was so bad that Lucy didn’t even know why she was making it, in her mind. She didn’t know how she could possibly think that there was something to compare between her and this person, especially when Erica had been so clear that she was picking her girlfriend and not Lucy, no matter what.

Erica was picking someone else, and had told Lucy so quite plainly.

Lucy sat there, feeling miserable, and also feeling like that was all she deserved too.