Chapter 11.11

“Please,” Erica said again, sounding a little desperate. “I don’t want it to be like this between us.”

“What happened to keeping our voices down,” her girlfriend said, sounding smug.

Erica didn’t answer, but she must have taken the point, because they argued a little more quietly for while, so that Lucy couldn’t make out what was being said. She heard murmurs, low voices, both of them apparently speaking sharply while being careful about how loudly anything was said.

They argued like that for a little while, but then something must have happened. The fight must have got worse. Suddenly, Lucy heard, quite clearly, Erica’s girlfriend say, “She doesn’t look suicidal to me.”

“Stop it,” Erica said.

Quickly, Lucy slid down on the couch. She could guess who Erica’s girlfriend meant, and could also guess that now they might both look in her direction. She wasn’t sure, but she thought they might, so she slid downwards and hoped the back of the couch would hide her.

“Why?” Erica’s girlfriend said, and her voice seemed a little louder, as if she was looking towards the door. “Why should I?”

“Because I asked you to,” Erica said. “Because this is important.”

“Her feelings are important?”

“Right now, yes they are.”

“More important than mine?”

Erica hesitated, then said quietly, “Please don’t make it like that.”

“Oh, I’m sorry Erica, what an inconvenience for you…”

“Just stop,” Erica said sharply. “Please.”

“No I won’t. Are her feelings more important than mine?”

Erica didn’t answer.

“Are they?” her girlfriend said.