Chapter 12.5

“Okay,” Erica said suddenly. “Yep. You’re right.”

Lucy was surprised. “About what?”

“That this isn’t fair.”

“I never said…”

“Yeah, but I know what you meant. That it isn’t fair, me always calling her. Because it really isn’t, is it?”

Lucy didn’t answer.

“Well?” Erica said.

“I didn’t mean that,” Lucy said guiltily. Her selfish hopes must have been more obvious than she thought.

“Yeah you did,” Erica said. “I know you.”

“No,” Lucy said. “I promise…”

“Well, it doesn’t matter,” Erica said. “It really doesn’t matter whether you meant that or not.”

“Oh. No?”

“Nope. Because it’s true either way. I always call her. Always. Any time there’s a fight, she storms off and I have to call her and chase after her and go and find her and get her back.”

“Oh,” Lucy said. “Okay. But I didn’t mean…”

“Yeah, I know you didn’t mean whatever. But it’s true all the same. It’s true, and I’m sick of it. So that’s the last time it happens.”

Lucy sat there, uncertainly. She wasn’t sure what to say.

“I mean it,” Erica said, and picked up her phone again.

“Hey,” Lucy said. “Um. I didn’t mean…”

“I know,” Erica said, but she was already texting.

“Maybe you shouldn’t do that right now,” Lucy said nervously. “Not while you’re upset…”

“I’m not upset,” Erica said, and didn’t sound like she was, but Lucy wasn’t sure.

“All the same…” Lucy said.

“I’m really not,” Erica said, still texting. “I’m just feeling… self-righteous. I’m just realizing how unfair it is that I always end up calling her, that’s all.”

“Yeah, you said.”

“Well, I think I’m sick of it.”

“Oh,” Lucy said.

“So that’s it, is all. Last time was the last time that happens, and it isn’t going to again.”

“Okay,” Lucy said. “So why the phone…?”

“I’m telling her, too.”

“Um,” Lucy said. “Telling her what?”

“What I just said,. That I’m done with it always being me who calls. That I’m not going to try calling again. That from now on us speaking after fights is up to her, and she can get in touch with me when she’s ready.”

“Oh shit,” Lucy said, then, “Are you sure…?”

“Yep.”

“Really sure?”

“Too late,” Erica said, and put the phone down.

“Fuck,” Lucy said. The message had obviously just been sent.