Another Person

It was more than the time he said. The bedroom door opened and the lovers made their way down the stairs. They were both dressed and ready to head to work. Their hands were still wrapped around each other. "Hey, you," Hailey greeted the brunette teenager she found sitting by the countertop bar as she entered the kitchen. "Hey! Good morning. I ate the food that you left out to be cold," Lizzie greeted. Hailey let out a soft chuckle and went to give the youngster a hug. "Glad you're ok," Lizzie hugged back. "How is it?" Jay was on the opposite side of the counter. The eagerness to know the answer was obvious in his voice. "Hmm," Lizzie glanced at Hailey and she received a look that said to mess with him. A smirk appeared on Lizzie's face, "How is what?" Jay knew what was going on, so he just gazed at her. "What?" She wasn't backing down, confusion was sprawled across her face. "Come on, Lizzie," he tried putting a stop to this. "Jay, I seriously have no idea what you're talking about." Hailey started making her way to the sink where the messy dishes were. She wouldn't be able to hold in her emotions as she felt her shoulders start to shake from the laughter brewing in her. "Alright," Jay gave in, "How were the eggs and bacon?" A proud smile spread across Lizzie's face. "Good job, Liz," Hailey congratulated her as she continued to wash the dishes. A disappointed look appeared on Jay's face. Lizzie chuckled at this, "They were delicious, Jay Halstead. Hailey is lucky to be waking up to this every single morning and I mean this." A genuine smile crept onto Jay's face. 'Every single morning' That phrase stuck with him as vision of their future flashed before his eyes.

When Jay was brought back to reality, his emerald eyes saw Lizzie's knowing smile in front of him. He raised both his eyebrows at her to ask what was going on, but all he got was a nod. "Are you done with your plate?" Jay found a way out of a staring contest with Lizzie. "Yep!" He took her plate and turned towards the sink. His hand caressed Hailey's soap-covered ones. "I got it here," Jay's gentle voice immediately made her turn into a puddle. He wasn't supposed to use this voice outside of the bedroom. She looked at him, but he already knew what she was going to say. "If I didn't use that voice, you would insist on doing the dishes," he carefully took the dishes off her hold and rinsed her hands. "I hate you," her voice was sarcastic. "Yeah, I know you love me," his lips curled into a smirk. They were about to go for another one of their five minutes excuses, but a sudden realization struck the woman. She looked at her side to find a beaming Lizzie. Jay followed her line of sight and nodded in understanding. "We're not done with this, right?" It was a whisper, but she clearly heard it. "Finish up or we're gonna be late," Hailey avoided the question and walked away. From the looks on Hailey's face he knew this was not over which was why he had a grin on his face.

Hailey was reading the expression on the teenager's face. The knowing look on her face indicated that she knows something that she might not. "What are you up to?" Hailey was standing opposite Lizzie. "Hm?" the teenager looked up from her phone. "What do you mean?" Hailey's eyebrow raised as her instincts about certain things never failed her before and she was so sure that it won't now. "You have that look on your face that says you know something that I don't." A smile crept onto Lizzie's face as she checked the time on her phone. "You know for a detective, you guys can be pretty dumb sometimes." She looked up from her phone to meet a confused Hailey in front of her. "Let's just say that you guys weren't as quiet as you thought a while ago." A light shade of pink suddenly painted Hailey's cheeks as the realization suddenly struck her. She completely forgot about another person in the house. "Glad you're back, Hailey." She hopped off her seat with a proud smile on her face. She knew that Hailey didn't want to be treated with pity, so she did what she usually did. Tease her about Jay and she had a great teacher for that. "I gotta go to school. Bye Jay! Thanks for breakfast." She called over Hailey's shoulder. "Bye!" Jay bid as he turned the sink off and dried his hands. He might not know what had just happened that left Hailey standing dumbfoundedly by the counter, but Lizzie left the house with a skip on her every step.