Our Banters

A brunette man and a blonde woman exited a house. They were heading for the gray pick up truck parked right by the front yard. "Hey, Hails." The man turned to face Hailey and started to walk backwards. Hailey's azure eyes met his, a confused expression appeared on her face. "Jay?" He immediately had a gentle smile on his face to tell her not to worry. "Why are your cheeks pink?" He touched his own cheeks to give more emphasis on what he was referring to. He didn't get a quick answer from her until he reached the side of his car. "Hail, you good?" he asked before opening the door for her. There was a sheepish look on her face and this concerned Jay since Hailey didn't always look like this. "Yeah, I'm good." He finally got a reply, but he was bummed since he knew that was a lie. He gave an understanding nod. 'She'll come around.' Hailey hopped in and he gave her one last look before shutting the door. As he circled the car to the other side, he couldn't help but worry. He got in the driver's seat and looked at the blonde beside him. "Hailey?" He waited for her to look at him before continuing. It took a few seconds, but she eventually did. "Are we gonna do this again? You know where that gets us." "Were we too loud?" Hailey bluntly asked. "What?" Jay was taken aback by her unusual question. "In that five minutes. Were we too loud?" Hailey's anxiety grew more as she thought of it, but she was confused as to why she got so worked up about it. "Did Lizzie point that out?" A smile suddenly crept onto Jay's face as he realized what was happening. He knew he was right when Hailey's eyes grew wide. A light chuckle escaped him. "Hailey," he gently held her hand, "Do you mind telling me why that got you so worried?"

"I have no idea why I'm worried," the slight panic on her face made Jay cup her little face into his hands. "Hailey, I don't think she heard us. It was already all over your face." She furrowed her eyebrows. "Yeah, how?" She pouted at him. Jay's hands dropped and he started the ignition. "If I tell you, you would make it your duty to not have it on you after," Jay looked back by his side. "So I won't tell you cause that expression on your face is why I do what I do and your cuteness is just a plus." There was an annoyed look on Hailey's face. "You're serious right now?" Jay nodded his head and faced the road as he started to drive. "I'm getting that information out of you," Hailey presented her threat. "How are you gonna do that?" His eyes were still on the road, but his playful tone told her that he was questioning her ability to fulfill that threat. Jay suddenly felt her warm touch on his arm. His eyes darted from the road to Hailey and back. "I have my ways." He felt a jolt course through his body as he heard her voice. She knows that tone would get him to do whatever she wants from him. "Hailey, we're on our way to work and we agreed that we would keep work and our relationship separate," he tried his very best to ignore the yearning feeling in him. "Technically, we're not in work yet." She was right, and he was about to give in, but his subconscious told him not to.

"Hailey." It was his warning tone, but she didn't care. "Jay." He gave her a side glare. "We're close to work, you still want to keep playing this game?" Hailey was proud of him for not giving in, but she was also bummed for the exact same reason. "To be continued, then," she replied. "I win," Jay teased knowing full well Hailey doesn't like losing to him in this kind of situation. "No, you didn't. I saw you quiver at my 'I have my ways'." That tone came back in her last few words. "Hailey, I swear, I will find an alley to park in," Jay's grip on his steering wheel tightened a bit. He was trying his best to control himself. "This is why you didn't win." She was good at this. They were back to the first few weeks when they were together. "Keep telling yourself that. I will win." He drove into the district's parking lot and turned the ignition off. His head snapped at her like it did before. "We're back there now?" Hailey wanted to be sure. "I thought from our banters meant that we were?" His eyebrow was raised. "Game face, on!" Hailey exclaimed. "God, you're so cute." Jay adored the woman in front of him for a few seconds before exclaiming, "Bullet magnet, off!"