Admiration Proceeding Obsession

not me...shipping and laughing at...betty x donna...as a crackship. let's call 'em 'detty' bc that's what donna tried to make jughead.

TW: mention of murder, implication/mention of suicide, mentions of self-harm

Betty couldn't pull herself away from the ditch where they found his body. And if she did, it wasn't for long; going to school and coming back to this same spot in Eversgreen Forest, sitting and talking to the air.

It had only been three days, but one of those days had turned into a night of Betty sleeping on the ground, waking up to a frantic Alice Smith shaking her awake and sobbing; she thought her daughter had made good on that promise of being Romeo & Juliet.

It was painful-- the young blonde was now without her love; more severe than a disagreement or a breakup. No matter what she did or said or changed about herself, one simple and heartbreaking truth would always remain:

She was never getting him back.

It made her regret everything; not kissing him long enough, not sharing her umbrella on mornings when it was sprinkling, not telling him she loved him each and every night. For keeping secrets and making him feel like he had to keep some from her too.

Most of all, she hated sending him to that school.

She couldn't prove it just yet, but she knew those Stonewall Preppies were behind Jughead's murder. But she couldn't quite sit herself down to work on his case like she wanted to and probably should have.

She needed to grieve first.

So, she would dress in his jackets each day when she went to school and stay until sundown at his last known location, trying not to cry in front of the part of him she knew was still there; wandering.

And when she managed to drag herself home in the blue darkness that was nighttime in the town of Riverdale, she'd wear his shirts to bed, press his beanie against her chest, and cry into his pillow; wishing for the world to take her too.

To just open up and sink her within itself.

She wasn't suicidal.

She just wanted to be unalive.

"You said," Betty sniffled, sitting on the ledge of the waterless ravine. "You said...if you ever went missing...that I'd be the one to find you," she said before gasping out and crying, "Why couldn't I find you alive, Jug?"

"Why aren't you alive?"

Behind her came the snap of a twig and the blonde instantly turned her head, wiping her tears on her sleeve and standing up after seeing Donna walking towards her slowly. "I didn't mean to scare you," the Sweett girl confessed, her palms out slightly.

It was as if she was saying, "Fear not, I come in peace."

But Betty knew that just wasn't true.

"What, Donna? What could you possibly want?" Betty asked, her voice heavy with pain, but she refused to cry. "I wanted to make sure you're okay," Donna answered, stepping forward slowly before Betty was closing her eyes tightly.

"Just go," she said, opening her dark and teary eyes. "You have no right," her voice wavered. "You have no right to be here. To pretend to mourn him." "Betty, I'm so sorry," Donna sighed, walking over and wrapping her arms around the blonde.

Betty pushed her away immediately, the tears she tried so hard to fit breaking their dam as she screamed, "Don't fucking touch me! 'Sorry' won't bring him back! He's never coming back because of you! Because of what you did!"