Heavy Is The Hand

once again based on one of bughead_doodles on instagram's drawings! she was kind enough to give me permission to write and include the drawing, so if you haven't already, please go support her work!

CW: mention of guns

Slightly NSFW

For the first time in seemingly forever, Betty Jones had a free day. She wasn't needed in the FBI office after the team had wrapped their latest case and she didn't have any other obligations to attend to.

So, instead of waking up at five in the morning to get ready for work, she slept in until nine and spent an extra half an hour just laying in bed, cuddled up with her sheets and basking in the sunlight that peeked through angled blinds.

Jughead had left before Betty woke up, off to the store, or Pop's, or both. She felt around his empty spot in the bed before her eyes opened and whined when she realized he wasn't beside her.

The text on her phone promised, "Be back soon!" but it was sent an hour before the blonde woke up and Betty had a tendency to be impatient. Nevertheless, she responded with an "I'm up now; let me know when you're heading back :)" followed by a simple, "I love you."

The Jones woman left the warmth of her covers and stepped into her house slippers; feeling a little silly in her current getup: an unbuttoned sangria top with her black bra shown beneath the slit. Of course, she had to match, an identical shade on her sweatpants.

Her task-oriented brain thought it best to start on breakfast for herself, which, of course, couldn't start until coffee was slipping past her lips. Her husband had seemingly prepared, leaving a Post-It note by the coffee maker that read, "Just brewed"

The thought made Betty smile, but it had been an hour and a half, so while the gesture was charming, the practicality was less than. Betty poured out the coffee pot and refreshed the grounds, leaving the machine to do the rest before getting a pan out.

She set it on the stove and got out her ingredients, making herself a quick breakfast as she hummed and sipped on her (now sweetened) coffee. Her eggs were ready after ten minutes and something about the blonde's plate looked empty to her.

Two slices of bread were slipped into the toaster and Betty pulled the butter out from the fridge, waiting for her toast to pop up. It did and sat down to eat; alternating between forkfuls of egg, bites of toast, and sips of coffee.

Since she'd left her bed, Betty's mind kept going back to work, even if she didn't mean for it to. "I need to get that file submitted," she said to herself before pausing, eyebrow furrowed. "No, I already did that on Tuesday," she reminded herself before chuckling slightly.

"Well, maybe, I should call Agent Lin just to make sure that--"

"No, this is my day off."

"Maybe Drake's in the office and I could swing by to--"

"I am not taking a single step into that office today."

Eventually, after Betty ate and washed her dishes, she realized how boring it was to not have anything to work on. With a small sigh, she looked at the time and decided to text Jughead, missing him.

B: Text me when you're on your way home :)

B: I miss you <3

She didn't get a response, so she decided it best to try and distract herself with some TV; curling up in bed once more and turning on the screen on the wall. The Jones woman scrolled through various titles before landing on one that she'd fallen behind on.

For the next hour, She let the TV distract her before hearing the knob of the front door rattle. She checked her phone and saw that she hadn't gotten a text from Jughead saying he was coming home.

Usually, he'd just put his key in and walk in, but the doorknob rattling sounded nothing like Betty's husband coming home. Her mind went into Agent mode and she grabbed her gun from the holster on the side of her nightstand.

Slowly, she made her way towards the door, clinging to the wall. The door opened and she raised her gun. "Don't shoot," Jughead said, his hand up as he chuckled slightly. "Jesus, you scared me," Betty sighed, lowering her gun and turning the safety back on.

"I didn't see your text until I parked, babe, I'm sorry," Jughead said, taking his sherpa jacket off and putting it on the coat rack beside the door. "It's okay, I'm...I'm sorry, I think I just got a little paranoid," Betty responded, running her hand through her hair.

"At least you didn't shoot me," Jughead said with a small smile, walking over and picking the blonde up, reveling in the giggle she made as her legs wrapped around his waist. He walked her back into the bedroom, dropping her down on the bed as Betty smiled.

"Even on your day off, you're still Agent Jones," he chuckled, brushing a stray hair from the blonde's face. "My tough girl." "I guess so," she responded, a bit somber. "Well, heavy is the hand that holds the gun, huh?" he asked, kissing her pulse point.

"Yeah," Betty responded, lightly tossing the gun behind her. "It sucks," she added with a pout, her wrists crossing on the back of Jughead's neck. "Hmm, I'm sorry, honey," he added sincerely, one hand and two knees holding him upright on the mattress.

His other hand allowed his index finger to skim the waistband of her sweatpants. Betty's hand met her husband's hair and she smiled, suddenly grounded as he kissed her cheek. "I'm not sure I can do much to help," he mumbled before pulling her closer by her side.

"But maybe I could try to take your mind off of it?" he added, his finger now trailing up his wife's stomach to the center of her black bra. He smiled when the blonde bit her bottom lip at the gesture, gauging her reaction.

Betty blushed without meaning to and responded, "I think I'd like that," with a deeper tone.