And Life Forever Changed

hi, i came up with this in driver's ed and suppressed it, but now i decided to do it. grab your tissues, you know the drill. enjoy!

TW: car crash, bodily injury, mention of blood, hospitals

Song Credit: "Arcadia" by Lana Del Rey

"I'm so happy you're here," Jughead smiled, looking over at Betty, who was sitting in the passenger seat of his father's truck. "Me too, Jug, you have no idea," she replied, her head rolling blissfully over her headrest.

They had just come from breakfast at Pop's, where they met for their day together. Betty had been running herself ragged at the Blue & Gold and could barely catch a break--well, she could, but she refused to; always an overachiever.

The day seemed the best for going out; it wasn't too hot and it wasn't too cold, not many people around and barely any other cars on the streets. The town had been snowing the last few days considering it was nearing that time of the month, so the roads remained a bit slick.

"Promise me we'll do this more," she said, looking at her boyfriend with awe in her eyes, setting her hand on the center console while he turned right.

Jughead chuckled before looking over at the blonde and replying, "Always."

If he wasn't so focused on driving, he'd kiss her.

"Bijou?" he asked, suggesting a plan for the day. "Hmm, maybe later," she answered. "I kinda wanted to go by Blue Velvet." "Well, you know I can't refuse that," Jughead, the cinephile, smiled and responded.

"Then it's a deal," the Cooper girl responded before humming contently to herself. "Oh, but I have to get back home early so I can go over the next article on my list," she reminded herself aloud.

The Jones boy only looked over and smirked, responding slowly, "You are...two months ahead. You can take a break, y'know," with a chuckle. "I know, I just," Betty started to explain before stopping herself and taking a deep breath.

"You are right. You are absolutely right, thank you," she said, reminding herself to have breathing time. Jughead only smiled and placed his hand on top of hers gently. "I love you," he said before kissing the back of her hand once they got to a red light.

"And I love you," she replied, completely heartfelt with her head laying on the headrest, turned so she could see him. He pulled into the parking lot of the video store and the two got out, their hands meeting and fingers interlacing as Betty shook and remarked, "It's cold."

Jughead chuckled and held the door open for them as they walked in, going to various genre-oriented sections. They met again after some time at the front counter, Betty checking out melodramas she'd already seen and her boyfriend letting psych thrillers catch his eye.

They set the bag on the floor of the front seat and Betty went back to curling her legs into her chest to preserve some semblance of warmth. "And now? Where're we off to next?" Jughead asked, starting to pull out of his spot.

"Hmm, I don't know," Betty answered, reading the back of one of the movies her boyfriend had picked out. "How perfect for him," she thought to herself with a smile. "Maybe we just drive around for a bit?" the blonde offered.

"Works for me," the Jones boy replied before turning on the warmer air for his shivering girl. She thanked him with a sigh and the truck made its way onto the main road. "I think I should start buying gifts for people. Y'know, for the holidays?"

"Who were you thinking of?" Jughead asked, his eyes still on the road. "You, obviously. Veronica, my parents, Polly, Kevin, and Archie, probably," she listed. "Which begs the question," the blonde paused before smiling wide and asking, "What do you want?"