twenty: sacrifice (2/2)

Cameron rubbed at his forehead as he sat at the dining table with his father and Winona. His phone was in the center, a voice ringing out from it as it was on speaker. They were currently on a call with the director and two producers of Hives. And it was safe to say that they were not happy with Cameron.

"We would have liked a heads up, we were scheduled to start rehearsing and you haven't been here without much of an explanation," Clay, the director stressed over the phone.

"Well... a lot of unforeseen events have sprung into my life. I didn't think I'd be out for this long. Honestly, I apologize but again, everything is just happening so fast," Cameron apologized, holding his head up with his fist. His eyes closed with bags underneath and his voice deep and raspy.

He was exhausted at the moment. Ada kept him up the entire night, crying so hard to the point that she threw up. Cameron tried his best to calm her down, giving back rubs and trying to figure out what was bothering her so bad at that moment. But it was all hopeless, Ada just crying hysterically, so Cameron just simply stayed up with her. Afraid she was having a breakdown again. After such a chaotic night, she finally fell asleep in the early morning. Meanwhile, Cameron was still awake and currently battling his bosses.

"You've missed your boxing trainings, we had you scheduled for wardrobe fittings, we've had five rehearsals and had to cancel FOUR of them so far because we did not have our lead present. We are a month into production and you have not been here at all!" Clay pointed out, followed by a lot of "yeps and mhmms" from the producers who were listening in the background.

"I understand and again, I apologize. I have been studying the script and doing further character research for Damien, I promise I have. It's just... I just have a lot on my plate," Cameron sighed.

"He's currently dealing with personal family issues, which is what I relayed to you all last week when I called you Clay," Winona reminded.

"Yes, but that was last week. This is now a new week and time is passing. When exactly can we expect you to return?"

Cameron was silent for a second, looking at his father and Winona with tired eyes as they awaited his answer. He sighed as he spoke into the phone. "I... I'm not sure. I don't... have a clear idea when all of this will blow over. It's just not possible for me right now-"

"Well, it is possible for you to do the series, it's just that you won't take the other options that are being given to you," Victor interrupted, crossing his arms. Cameron cut his eyes at him before shaking his head.

"Listen... my girlfriend is pregnant. Right in the middle of her pregnancy and..." Cameron sighed. "She's going through some mental struggle right now. I need to be here to support her and I can't leave her alone for many reasons that... I don't really feel comfortable sharing. So I... I just don't know when I can return. I'm so sorry but I do not have an answer for you right now."

Another voice came on the phone, one of the producers now speaking. "We just moved production all the way from Atlanta to California, had to have our Georgia native cast and crew move out here to accommodate you and your simultaneous work you supposedly had coming up. Upped our budget and now you're saying you have an indefinite time period of when you, the lead of this series, will be back to film? Putting us on hold with no answers, this is unprofessional!"

"Cameron, buddy I'm sorry but... " Clay's sympathetic tone overtook the phone. "If you're not back at least a week from now, we might have to start looking for a replacement. We would have no other choice, we just simply do not have any more time to waste."

There was a moment of silence as Cameron stared at the table, his eyes wandering as his mind was racing. And then, without a second thought, he sighed. "Well... I guess you'll have to replace me."