Chapter Fourteen

I drive aimlessly through the streets, just trying to calm down after the whole Brody incident.

I desperately want to call Ghost. He's become my shoulder to cry on, the only steady constant in my life. But I can't keep running to him with every little problem. That's not his burden to bare. Plus after the humiliating scene we just had at his house, I'm not sure if I'll ever be able to face him again.

I need a distraction though, and if it can't be Ghost, then it will have to be Annie. I quickly look up the address to the club and thankfully it's not too far. I glance at my reflection in the mirror and cringe slightly. My hair is in disarray and my makeup is smudged. My eyes are tinged red and I notice a few hickies on my neck that Brody left.

I should go home first and fix myself up, but I don't have the energy. I just want to be surrounded by a sea of strangers and forget everything that's happened.

It's not too crowded of a place and I'm let through the door relatively quickly despite my disheveled appearance. The lighting is low and music is pounding as bodies jump around on the dance floor.

I get a drink in my hand before I search for Annie. She's easy to spot in the lounge area as she and her friends are the loudest group here. They're in a padded booth all shouting and laughing with each other with drinks in their hands.

I slowly approach the table, feeling self-conscious as I notice they're each dressed just as lavishly as Annie had been earlier. I look like a troll compared to them. I have to down half of my drink before I step over and greet them.

"Hey." I have to shout over the music and their laughter to be heard.

Each face turns in my direction with confused frowns and I look to Annie for support. She smiles at me and stands up to greet me with a quick hug, "Hey! You made it!"

"Yeah, I did." I state the obvious, unsure what else to say.

She holds me at arms length and looks over my face, probably noticing that something is off, but she doesn't comment on it. Her eyes drift behind me and she seems to be looking for someone as she asks, "Just you?"

I frown, "Yeah, who else would I bring?"

Her eyes find mine again and she seems disappointed before shrugging her shoulders and smiling tightly, "No one." She turns to the table and quickly introduces, "Girls, this is my roommate, Emerson."

The four girls sitting down all grin up at me, but I can tell by the bleary glaze over their eyes that they're all drunk. Which would explain why they all greet me with over enthusiastic shrieks.

"Yes! Bitch, take a seat!"

"I'm so glad you're here!"

"Take a shot with us!"

"Girl, sit down!"

Annie takes me through each of their names but I forget them just as quickly. My mind is too focused on other things to retain any information. I just raise my hand up in a meek wave and reply, "Nice to meet you all."

Technically I've met these girls before. They've come over to the dorm many times, but Annie's never attempted introductions. Obviously they don't remember me either.

Annie guides me into a seat and everyone scoots down to make room. She plops down beside me and reaches for her glass.

"So how has your night been?" She questions, loud enough for the table to hear.

Everyone's attention is on me, causing me to shift uncomfortably in my seat.

"Uhm, it's been alright." I reply, though that's a complete lie.