Chapter Twenty-Six

I wake up with a heavy arm draped across my waist.

It takes me all of two seconds to remember all the details of last night. It's a rush of worry and fright followed quickly by absolute, blinding happiness.

Ghost kissed me. Not only that, he had reassured me that we were... something. Something more than friends.

I roll over in bed to face him and am met with his angelic, sleeping form. He looks so soft and peaceful lying there. I can't help but reach up and run my palm down his cheek, his slight stubble scratching me like sandpaper.

Last night was the best sleep I've had in a long time. Despite the nerves and shock of everything that happened, it didn't take long to drift out of consciousness, especially with Ghost's arms wrapped securely around me.

But now I can feel the flurries in my stomach at the conversation that looms over my head. He'd said we'd talk about it in the morning. Well, it's morning now.

I try not to let my thoughts spiral, but they just can't help themselves. I can feel myself already overthinking everything. Maybe he didn't mean anything by 'more than friends'. Maybe his mind changed at some point during the night. Maybe I am way more into him than he is into me.

Maybe it was just pity that made him say and do all those sweet things.

I chew fervently on the inside of my cheek and pull my hand away from him. In the back of his throat he makes a sound of protest, and with his eyes still firmly closed he blindly reaches out and flops around for my hand. When he finds it he pulls it back towards him, snuggling it between his cheek and his pillow as he lets out a soft sigh of content.

My heart melts.

A smile takes over my face as I softly reach forward with my other hand and poke him lightly on the shoulder. "C'mon, I know you're awake now." I laugh softly.

"Five more minutes." He groans into his pillow, screwing his eyes shut tighter.

I let out another laugh and remark, "You don't have to get up, but at least talk to me. I'm bored."

He slowly peeks one eye open at me and as it adjusts to the soft light streaming in through the blinds his mouth tilts up into a lopsided smile. With a sleepy voice and his face still half smashed into his pillow he mumbles, "Did you know... that... you're beautiful?"

My heart flutters and I have to bite down on my lip to contain a grin. If this is what waking up to him every morning is like, sign me up.

He smirks at my blushing face before sitting up slightly, with my hand still tangled up in his, "How're you feeling?" He questions, rubbing the sleep out of his tired eyes as he stretches his back.

My eyes trail down his bare chest and abdomen, stopping where his tan body disappears beneath the covers. I want to caress every inch of him, but I'm not sure if I've earned that right yet.

My gaze returns quickly to his face, and his wild bed head that is admittedly super adorable. I attempt to keep my thoughts from wandering once again as I answer, "Good. I slept great. What about you?"

A secretive smile graces his lips as he remarks coyly, "No complaints here." His expression turns slightly more somber as his eyes dip down to my throat and he mutters, "Those bruises look bad, Rose."

Self-consciously I raise my hand to my neck and softly trace my fingers over the marks. I can feel the slight sting every time I swallow, a constant reminder that what happened last night was not just some terrible nightmare.

But I don't want to think about that right now.

"I'll be fine." I reassure him, forcing a soft smile.