Chapter Ninety Two: Gambit

Friendly reminder: don't read the comments before reading. They will contain spoilers!

———————-

Shownu's POV (Four Hours Post-Demolition)...

I've only experienced this feelings once before. The sensation unlike any other; that my stomach is sinking, my heart aching, and my mind racing all at once. My hands trembled uncontrollably, indicative of my inability to get a grip of the situation.

Every time I felt this was, it was a result of the same woman:

Yuri.

When we were broken up, it felt just like this.

Expect this time it was a thousand times worse.

The feelings of loss, the grieving, the torture... it was so much worse.

This wasn't just a broken heart. No, this was an annihilated heart. The mental pain became physical, my clenched jaw and fists were starting to feel sore. And my nose was stuffy from crying, making it harder and harder to breath.

My phone was ringing nonstop, it was Harin bugging me about when I was coming home. I blocked her number, uninterested in communicating with her at all anymore. There were more important things for me to deal with.

Consequences be damned, I was on a mission.

How could my father do this? How could he go this far?

I was so blind to the evil festering within my own family, the moral bankruptcy that was rampant. I didn't want to believe that my father was capable of doing something so evil to Yuri.

Yet, here I was, wallowing in the aftermath.

I tried to live peacefully and quietly. I tried to move on with my life. The public thinks that I'm happily married to a beautiful girl, they don't know the threats that pushed me down the aisle. They don't know that every step I took closer to Harin was agonizing. I had gotten so good at forcing a smile and putting up a good front, that I forgot what it was like to have real feelings.

Everything that I did up until this point was to protect Yuri. And it was all for naught.

I left Yuri and have been living (rather, suffering) under the same roof as Harin. Though I wanted to run away with Yuri and start a new life somewhere else, I couldn't. Simply being seen with her was dangerous, so I avoided her at almost any cost.

In exchange for my happiness, all I wanted was her safety.

That clearly wasn't enough. My father hurt her anyway.

I parked in front of my childhood home, the sprawling mansion that Yuri visited about twice. Since I got married, I hadn't stepped foot in here. Life brought me back here once again.

The way staff carried on was astonishing. No one knew the horrors that my father just committed.

As I got out of my car, I was immediately greeted by my personal butler.

"Master Shownu, what brings yo-" Mr. Kim bowed.

"I'm sorry, I don't have time for this. Where is my father?" I demanded.

For a moment, I felt bad for being so brash. It had been a long time since I last saw this man, who took part in raising me.

Mr. Kim's eyes were knowing, somewhat apologetic. "He's in the study."

"Thanks," I replied.

Something seemed odd about Mr. Kim today. But I couldn't quite place it. He was dressed the same as always, and his hair cut looked the same. My eyes trailed down to his hands, noticing a fresh scratch wound. The kind that a man gets while attempting to kidnap a woman.