Chapter Twenty Three: Planning

"Just business? You are the heir to the Sohn Family Conglomerate. It's not 'just business' for people like us. If you wanted to marry for love, you should have been born into a different family."

Mr. Sohn's words were weighing on my mind. A dark cloud hung around my head everywhere a went. My mood was perpetually down.

I thought they liked me. I thought they truly accepted me as Shownu's partner. But that was all an act, they were just being nice to my face. I wondered how many business partners they fooled with that sickening smile and sweet disposition.

However, I kept what I overheard to myself, I didn't want to say anything to Shownu. I didn't want to talk about us having to break up in the future. If we didn't talk about it, maybe we could change our inevitable future.

Ignorance is bliss, right?

"Did you tell Shownu?"

I looked up, taken aback. I wondered how someone read my mind.

Wonho stood before my desk, a new designer bag slung over his shoulder.

"What?" I asked, completely shook.

"About the school board position... did you tell him?" Wonho pressed.

I let out a sigh.

Of course he can't read my mind, that would be stupid.

"No, not yet," I replied, trying to relax into my chair.

"Well tell him soon. We've all got a school board meeting today," Wonho said.

"Another one?" I grumbled.

"Of course," he laughed, "We're going to have a ton of them until the end of the year."

"Right..." I muttered.

I might be Princess at this school. But I'm nothing as soon as I step off the campus. I'm just a regular girl on the inside.

"So I'm a Duke?" Shownu asked, brows raised.

I nodded.

School was over, and we were walking hand-in-hand to the student council office.

"Something like that," I replied, "Wonho wanted to keep you on the board."

"Well... that's nice of him," Shownu muttered. I could hear the apprehension in his voice, like maybe he can't believe this is happening. Or maybe he's suspicious of our new King. Well, he should be. I know I am.

I handed Shownu a rather small pin.

"What's this?" He asked, turning the black rose in his hand.

"Wonho says that it will mark you as a Duke," I replied, "Or something stupid, I don't know."

"Fair enough," Shownu replied, clipping the black rose pin to his lapel.

We stopped in front of the student counsel office, and I pushed open the door.

I paused for a moment, surprised to see that it wasn't just Wonho in the room. He was surrounded by a group of adults. Some teachers, some other faculty members.

'What the hell...'

"Now the meeting can begin," Wonho said once we were seated down, "I would like to introduce you to the Duke of the school."