Chapter 20: Leaning on you

She had wanted to call Nai, but her phone was dead.

It was raining again as Wei WEi was walking on the street. Not knowing where to go, Wei Wei walked for 4 kilometers in the rain till she reached Nai's apartment numb from Ashuang and Er Xi's hurtful words. It hadn't even ocurred to her to get a taxi. She reached his house by 6 pm and sat on the porch, not knowing what else to do.

Nai, for once had left office early and that was how he had found Wei Wei on his porch shivering. He knew something was wrong. She was just staring with a blank expression chilled to the bone.

"Wei Wei, what happened? You look like you are freezing", he said

She didn't respond.

He opened the door, scooped her in his arms and carried her inside. Wei Wei barely registered it. On some level Nai realized carrying her across the threshold was sort of romantic. But had to take care of her first'

Fetching a towel, he wrapped it around her. Then he dashed off to the bathroom to fill the tub with hot water. Wei Wei just stood rooted, emotionally spent from the past few months of unwarranted ridicule from Asuhang and Er Xi's hurtful words.

Nai squeezed her arm gently. She reacted a little to look at him.

"Weiwei, I drew a bath for you. Please soak in the tub for a while and warm up.I have also placed a set of clean pajamas for you to use" Mutely, she let herself get dragged to the bathroom.

He waited for her to go inside and left, closing the door behind him. Wei Wei was a strong driven woman, that was one of things he loved most about her. He had never seen her look so helpless, normally she could take care of herself just fine in any situation. Nai was furious at Ashuang, he would make him pay and fix whatever else had caused her to sit so helplessly at his doorstep.

While Wei Wei was in the bath, he called KO

Nai : Sorry to bother you, I need a favor

KO: Sure boss, what is it

Nai: This is not related to work. Feel free to say no. I want to know everything I can about Ashuang

KO : I understand and will support you. Give me a few hours

As someone who had been looked down upon a lot, KO understood how Wei Wei felt. She worked so hard; he had seen her go above and beyond to help everyone while managing to do all her work. She didn't deserve to be treated like that. Hao mei treated her like his sister, so KO would treat her the same way.

Meanwhile in the bathroom,

Wei Wei finally got into the tub after staring at herself in the mirror for 5 minutes. "This face is more a curse than a blessing", she thought, "How had she let things get so bad with Ashuang? If she had discussed this with Nai sooner, perhaps they could have avoided all the drama that happened today"

Then there was Er Xi- She understood how Er Xi felt, if she had been in her position, she would probably feel a little depressed herself. But Wei Wei thought "It's not my fault. I never mislead anyone". Er Xi had always been a little immature, but her words today had done a number on Wei Wei. All through high school, girls didn't want to be friends with her because she was overly beautiful and none of the boys would notice them if they hung around her. And the boys had just pursued her relentlessly, which made Wei Wei a loner throughout high school. She thought she had finally found friends , hell, family in her sisters. Er Xi saying "I don't want to be in your shadow anymore", brought to surface all the years of insecurities and trauma for Wei Wei.

Just as she thought that, she heard a knock.

"Wei Wei are you okay in there? It's been over 40 minutes. Was there something you needed? Feel free to use any of my toiletries", said Nai