Chapter 26 : Meeting the Parents (2)

Early Next morning, Wei Wei was still asleep. Old man Bei was in the balcony of their modest house watering the plants when he saw a swanky SUV pull up. A dashing young man got out of the driver's seat with hands full of what appeared to be gifts. He was about to go downstairs and help as he normally would have done, when he realized this was Xiao Nai . Old man Bei had seen his pictures in magazines and papers as the "young tech wiz", "why is he here?", he thought.

He watched Nai effortlessly carry everything and enter their building. He heard the door bell ring.

Mama Chen: "Ni Hao, Xiao Nai ? What a pleasant surprise! Did you come to surprise Wei Wei on her birthday? That's so sweet of you, lah . Come in come in" she exclaimed exuberantly.

Nai  responded warmly, " Hello auntie. It is so nice to see you in person. I can see where Wei Wei gets her beauty from he said, handing her bags full of expensive tea and delicacies."

Mama Chen giggled, " You are a sweet talker. Old man Bei come see who is here"

Old man Bei came in and stood stiffly sizing up the young man in front of him.

Nai met his gaze and introduced himself ," Ni Hao uncle Bei. I'm Xiao Nai. I am Wei Wei's lesser half . I am sorry I could not meet you in person sooner. He said smilingly."

Old man Bei thought , "he's so humble for someone with so many achievements. Lesser half huh? That's right, my daughter is remarkable. Or wait, is he just trying to flatter me?"

Old man Bei decided to be courteous," Hello. What brings you here?"

Mama Chen replied before Nai could answer , "Aiyah! He's obviously here to surprise his girlfriend on her birthday. So romantic"

Xiao Nai added, " Actually that is only a small part of why I am here. I am actually here to pay my respects to you auntie Chen and you uncle Bei. I know it is still early ,so Wei Wei won't be up yet. If you are free, may we talk ?"

Old man Bei was about say he was busy when mama Chen interjected "We are free, lah. But you must be tired from your journey/. Why don't you freshen up? We'll talk over breakfast".

Old man Bei was forced to nod when his wife elbowed him in the ribs sharply.

Xiao Nai was grateful, "Thank you auntie Chen he said and let her lead him to the bathroom to freshen up."

Meanwhile in the kitchen:

Mama Chen whispered furiously, " I know what you are up to old man Bei. I suggest you treat that kid well. He came all the way here for your daughter, he has no airs and he is so polite. I know you are thinking about your sister, but I suggest you keep an open mind. Wei Wei loves him deeply, so I suggest you respect that and listen to what he has to say"

Old Man Bei replied, " How do you know this is all not an act? He just randomly showed up and expects us to listen to him"

Mama Chen retorted, " I have been talking to his mother, he is serious about Wei Wei. Also, he sought my permission before he came here. I knew you would throw a fit, so I didn't tell you", impishly

Old man Bei grumbled, " Now you are taking his side over mine" , sulking.

Nai used the time in the bathroom to organize his thoughts and freshen up. This was very important for their future. He didn't want Wei Wei to stress out about her dad's approval of their relationship, he knew her father meant the world to her.

Mama Chen saw him and brightened immediately, "Come sit down. I have a feeling you want to have this conversation without Wei Wei, I won't wake her. But here, at least eat a little."