Chapter 22- Meeting the in-laws

The day they had won the contract with Feng Teng in Shanghai, was a monumental one. The others had opted to stay in Shanghai and see the sights as a much needed break. But Nai and Wei Wei had returned because she had to move into the dorms the next day.

They were in for a big surprise at the airport. They had landed late evening in Beijing and as they exited the airport, Nai spotted his parents with a sign that said

"Ms Wei Wei, head of Marketing and her not so better half"

He chuckled, they sure had a sense of humor. He couldn't remember the last time they picked him up. He waved at them .

Wei Wei was on the phone with her mother telling her that she had made it safely and that her senior classmate would escort her back to home as it was quite late ( she still hadn't told them she was seeing Nai).

"Bye bye, ma. I will call you tomorrow", she said as they had gotten closer to Nai's parents. She looked up, saw the sign and blushed. Nai gave her a little nudge and she quickly recovered

"Hello professors Xiao." she said shyly

Nai's mother "Actually I go by Professor Lin, but just call me Auntie Lin", she said and drew her into a hug to ease her. She realized that Wei Wei must have been quite taken back to see her in-laws ( she hoped)

"Auntie Lin, Hello, Uncle Xiao", she said addressing his father.

Nai's dad "I knew you were a smart one, when you took my class. Don't know what you are doing with this one", he laughed pointing at Nai

Nai "Oh, so that's how its going be , huh? How come I never got the airport welcome?", he said as they walked towards the car.

"Well, if you bothered to respond to our texts in more than half a phrase, we'd do this more often", his mom retorted

One day during the summer, Auntie Lin and Uncle Xiao, had tried to call Nai when they heard about a leak in their apartment. They had wanted Nai to go take a look. He was in meetings all day , so he hadn't bothered to pick up. Worried, she had asked the dean for Wei Wei's number and had called her. Wei Wei had managed to receive her call in between meetings, explained the situation at the office, offered to help. She had expertly rearranged some meetings for a couple hours and had gotten Nai to go rescue the priceless artifacts.

Since then, they had stayed in touch. They found that she was intelligent and expressive. She usually gave them updates about Zhi Yi, their heath , inquired about their expedition etc. The three of them had bonded over Nai's maddening tendency to immerse himself in work and forget the world.

"Let's get some dinner. Tell us all about your day" his dad said.

Over dinner, Nai and Wei Wei had recounted the thrilling bid war and how they had won. His parents in turn told them about a Ming dynasty dig site they had worked at.

Wei Wei "That's fascinating. Uncle Xiao the pictures you sent of the Ming dynasty artifacts inspired prototypes for some of our in game prizes. It must have been be so wonderful to see the remaining structures in person"

Nai "So, that's where you got that idea! I almost yelled at Qiu Gang the other day when he was looking at some dusty old book instead of finishing the prototypes. He was saved when he said you had asked him to look into it"

Uncle Xiao : "Clearly genius has skipped a generation in our family"

Auntie Lin said, "It must be so hard coping with such a dimwit "

Nai acted all hurt while feeling elated that his parents treated Wei Wei like their daughter, "Oh I see now that I have been cast aside. She's the darling daughter and I'm some dimwitted boyfriend. I must now find new parents. Maybe yours will adopt me Wei Wei"