Chapter 19

The Med-Jacks hut was cluttered with several beds and trays containing medical supplies as faint shuffling could be heard. She shyly glanced inside, wanting to be useful to the people of paradise and prove her worth just like Thomas. He was a runner and cartographer with Minho, also part of the council in paradise.

He helped map unknown parts of their new home and produce more areas to live so she wanted to help any way possible too and hopefully earn back everyone's favour. What she had on her mind right now was helping the medics.

Teresa slowly entered the hut, her blue eyes taking in her surroundings and spotted two people with their backs turned to her. Aris and Brenda. She coughed loudly, getting their attention as they snapped their heads towards the noise.

Aris's face twisted into a shocked look, still finding it hard to believe she was alive as he saw her stand there awkwardly. He remembered noticing Teresa at the mess hall, friends again with Thomas and Minho. If they gave her a chance then he would too, he trusted the two runners.

Brenda silently stared at the girl she thought was long dead, remembering her death at the berg but her expression still held mistrust. She knew Teresa came back yesterday with Thomas and Minho, successful from their mission in WICKED but she wasn't ready to face reality until now.

"I was wondering if I could help out here. I want to be useful." Teresa spoke, quietly as she nervously fiddled with her shirt.
"We do need an extra hand or two." Aris responded, a small smile on his face as he handed a tray of medical supplies for her to clean.

"Thank you." She answered, softly as she moved her tray to the counter and started cleaning the needles. She briefly felt Brenda's gaze following her but kept her mind focused on her task, noticing there was a lot of supplies to be cleaned.

The rustling of leaves could be heard in the distance, making her think of a certain brown eyed boy as she wondered how his run was going. Her cheeks instantly flushed red, remembering his actions last night and his darkened brown eyes filled with passion and love.

"I'm heading out since I'm finished. I'll leave you two do the rest." Aris spoke, throwing the used cloths in the waste as his voice broke her from her lovestruck trance. He glanced at them, noticing them nod in agreement before he quietly shut the door.

There was silence filling the air as she and Brenda continued cleaning, their minds occupied with their own thoughts. Teresa looked down for the next equipment, noticing she was now finished and placed the tray on the trolley. She was honestly happy she did something that would benefit their new home.

"Why did he choose you?" Brenda whispered, quietly as she turned to face Teresa.
"What?" She responded, confused as she turned to look at Brenda.
"Why did Thomas choose you?" Brenda asked, her face held a serious expression as she stared back at her.

Teresa didn't reply, not knowing what to say as she previously knew Brenda liked Thomas.
"I don't understand. Why he would love a traitor." Brenda spoke, confusion in her voice.

Her blue eyes instantly filled with tears, feeling like the truth was getting slammed into her face. She did it for her own reasons, something Thomas understood on the flaming rooftop.
"I didn't understand back then how he could still care about you when you betrayed us." Brenda whispered, continuing to vent her thoughts to a silent Teresa.

Teresa was desperately trying and failing to hold her tears back, causing some to stream down her cheeks. It was like she was having a panic attack. Her breathing was shaky, everything was being too much and the truth hurt sometimes as she stood there frozen.

"When you died, he became quiet and held a empty look. He might deny it to us but it's obvious he's so blinded by you." Brenda spoke, frustrated as she stepped forward. "That's why you have that kiss mark on your neck. It's from him."
She noticed the kiss mark on Teresa's neck, dark coloured and recent when they were cleaning.

"I love him. I always did." Teresa responded, softly as her mind swirled with cherished memories of Thomas. Her heart had a owner, stubbornly staying there and it was him.

Brenda quickly paused at her honest response as she stared back at her. A uncomfortable silence filled the air again, the faint sound of rustling leaves in the distance as they stared at one another.

Teresa averted her gaze, wanting to retreat back to Thomas's hut and bury herself into the bedsheets. They smelled just like him. She silently walked out of the Med-Jacks hut, feeling Brenda's gaze burning the back of her head as she tried to calm her shaky breathing.

She quickly entered his hut and buried her face into her hands, feeling tears stream down her cheeks. The thought that she should have stayed dead stuck into her mind as her chest ached at Brenda's words. The abyss of nothingness.

Her chest pounded hard as she gasped for the breath that she couldn't seem to acquire. Tears blurred her vision that she didn't feel herself being scooped up into strong muscular arms.

Teresa desperately clung to his chest, clutching his shirt as she burrowed into his warmth. His arms silently wrapped around her small waist, bringing her closer to him as he gently ran his fingers through her soft raven hair.

"I'm sorry...." She whispered, softly as she pressed a light kiss over his heart. Her tears eventually started calming down, his presence soothing her as she felt him pause at her words.

Thomas stared at her beautiful blue eyes filled with sparkling tears with worried brown eyes. He remembered wanting to see her from his run with Minho and heard muffled crying outside his hut. Only to enter and see her struggling to breath on his bed.

He gently wiped her tears with his thumb, his hold on her waist tightened as he kept her pressed against his chest. Thomas caressed her rosy cheek, feeling her instantly lean into his touch.
"What's wrong?" He whispered, softly as he saw her avoid his gaze.

"Maybe....I should have stayed dead...." She whispered under her breath, shakily.
His brown eyes darkened in anger, silently processing her words as he stared at her.

"Don't say that...." He muttered as he softly turned her head to look at him.
"But...." She whispered, quietly as she stared into his darkened brown eyes.
"No....Don't ever say that...." He whispered back, his face held a serious expression. He couldn't lose her again.

"Tom...." She muttered, softly as she felt herself getting lost in his brown eyes.
"You belong with me, Teresa...." Thomas murmured, quietly as he pressed a soft kiss on her eyelid.
"I know...." Teresa whispered, softly as she relaxed into his arms. Her home was wherever he was.

"I thought I lost you back then...." He whispered as he softly nuzzled her head.
"I'm sorry...." She whispered back, it was all she could say as she buried her face in his chest.
There was silence filling the the air, faint sounds of the wind in the distance as they breathed in each other's presence.

"I found a kiss mark on my neck, Tom." Teresa spoke, breaking the silence as her cheeks flushed red at the mark he made.
He smirked at her red flushed cheeks as he gently rubbed the kiss mark on her neck with his thumb.
"I'm not sorry, Teresa...." Thomas murmured, softly as he pressed a light kiss over the mark. She shivered in his arms, loving his touch and stared at him.

"Can I make another one?" He muttered, quietly as he stared back at her with darkened brown eyes.
"Maybe later...." She responded, smiling seductively as she slowly trailed her fingers down his chest.

He groaned inwardly, finding her quite irresistible as he stared at her. His lips slowly tilted up into a grin, a joyful glimmer in his eyes as he watched her lace their fingers together. They were going to be fine as long as they had each other.

Author's Note: Please do comment what you think so far of the story. It really helps motivate me by hearing your thoughts. I'm hoping to update soon :)