17. Opportunities ...

The cap of the pen was pressed between Khusi's teeth, as her eyes rove over the answer sheets of her students. She had conducted a small surprise test that day, and the disfigured letters of some of her students still made her chuckle sometimes.

"A ant?" she mumbled, scrunching her eyebrows. She checked the question again, and sighed.

Who is the slowest?

Options : Rabit, Turtle, Cat, Caterpillar.

Of-course one of the overconfident students from her class decided to go overboard, again, and wrote a different answer to impress her. She shook her head, and marked it.

Children.

"Mrs. Khusi?" A voice called out and Khusi's head snapped up. The school clerk was standing near the entry of the staffroom door.

"Yes?"

"Principal ma'am has called you in her office."

Khusi's eyebrows drew in but she nodded nevertheless. Piling up the answer sheets, she kept them in her drawer and went out.

A message popped up on her phone. She quickly checked it and a smile graced her face. It was from the Sunshine Heaven Orphanage's  manager. After researching properly for 2 months, visiting all the other three orphanages, she decided to adopt from Sunshine Heaven.

Yes, I will come today.

Khusi replied back swiftly and threw her phone back inside her bag, knocking on the Principal's door.

As soon as Ms. Geetika Arora, the Principal ma'am, saw who it was, she quickly ushered Khusi in.

"Have a seat Khusi." Ms. Geetika beamed at Khusi's presence.

Khusi was an excellent teacher, who knew perfectly how to handle each and every kid. The school had gained immense popularity in the last 2 years after Khusi joined them  which made her special in the eyes of the Principal ma'am.

"The reason why I called you here today is very important. I had a meeting with the authorities last week, and they had asked for a suggestion, Khusi. A teacher for middle school. And guess who I suggested?"

Khusi's eyebrows shot up at Ms. Geetika's words as she gave her a nervous smile, not sure where that was going.

"Who?" she whispered.

"Of-course you Khusi! We're promoting you."

A wide grin broke on Khusi lip as she exclaimed, "Oh my God! Really!? I can't believe this."

Khusi was overjoyed with the news. Finally a promotion after being in the job for the last 3 years. But her happiness didn't last more than a minute. As soon as she heard Ms. Geetika's next words, her smile disappeared

"You are needed to report at the Shimla branch next month."

"Wait what? Shimla?" The adrenaline rush in Khusi veins dropped and her eyebrows drew in.

"Yes. That's where you're going to be transferred." Miss Geetika started taking out a few documents, smiling at Khusi. She was one of the best teachers at the school and Miss Geetika admired Khusi from day 1.

Khusi's head went blank as she slumped down on her chair, her heart dropping to her stomach.

Shimla? Just why?

That was impossible. How could she leave Bhaskar here all alone and take up the promotion transfer to Shimla? And out of all the places in India, it had to be Shimla? One of the coldest city of India. She loathed cold places.