Tradeshop

Midas saw the interest glittering in my eyes.

"While it may seem like a good idea, but by lowering the standards, it would also change the group dynamic."

"Group dynamic?" I didn't understand her vocabulary.

"It means that it would change the relationships in the group, as well as change how the group members interact with each other."

There seemed to be much more to what I already knew about Heaven.  As a recruit, would I live well prior to going up there?  At the moment, this was more important to me than anything else.

The two of us remained silent, both not sure how to restart the dead conversation.

Finally, Midas said, "Well, what do you say?  Do you want my help?"

I had no reason to refuse her help. Stuck in my predicament, her help would mean that I could live.  Otherwise, the other option . . .

I didn't want to think about the other option.

"I accept," I said firmly.

"Good," Midas said, as she rubbed her hands in glee.

I felt like a fool who had just been sold.  The conviction I felt earlier melted like snow under the July sun.  It almost made me regret my decision, seeing her act this way.  

"Well then, let me explain how my service works.  First off, I cannot interfere directly with your life.  For example, if you encounter a person about to stab you with a dagger, I won't be able to help.  But what I can do is give you the tools and materials you need to get by safely.  I can give you a shield and armor."

I nodded my head in understanding.

"I have a Tradeshop.  Here, you can buy whatever is available."

As she said this, Midas opened up a screen to show me her offerings.  Currently, there was only soft bread and water available.  There were a multitude of other items, but they were all grayed out.

"Is this all?" I asked her.

"Well, yes, but only temporarily."  Her face showed a bit of guilt.  "However, you don't have to worry.  You'll be able to unlock the rest of the items."

"How do I unlock those items?" I asked, my eyes completely immersed in this magical Tradeshop.