Letter Delivery

I turned to face the owner of the voice.

He was of average height. His face was graced with a long moustache which curled at the ends. His hair was shoulder length, but curled outwards. His clothes were quite fancy, almost like a noble. However, a noble wouldn't be found in such a place as the chamber of commerce. Nobles earned their coin by leasing land.

"Praise to his majesty," I greeted the man standing before me.

The man returned my greeting in the same manner, before jumping into an explanation.

"I can help you, save you do a favor for me."

Since he jumped into the heart of the conversation instantly, it showed he didn't want to introduce himself to me. Due to this, I also did not introduce myself to him. And due to the shady nature of the whole dialog, my immediate thought was to refuse him. However, if I did, I would only be in the same predicament I had been prior.

After debating internally for a long time, I finally said, "I don't know what this gentleman would like from me?"

"Nothing much, just a simple letter delivery," the man answered, his tone quite serious.

"I'm afraid, without knowing the content of the letter, I can't agree."

I had answered in this manner because I knew some people would trick the poor into delivering treasonous letters. When the poor unsuspecting person was caught red-handed with the letter on their body, the person who tasked them with delivering the letter would be nowhere to be found. Then the poor person would be executed for a crime they didn't even know they were a part of.

Of course, the stranger knew the reason for my hesitation. He nodded thoughtfully before answering, "It's nothing much, just a communication for my wife. I came here to conduct business. However, it is taking longer than I originally intended. My poor wife and children must be worried sick. Therefore, I am sending them a letter to inform them of my delay home."

I quietly thought over the matter, but with my eyes, I was asking Midas for her advice.

Midas floated around the man, who I now discovered to be a merchant like myself.

"He's telling the truth," Midas answered. Then she quizzically added, "But a letter delivery shouldn't be worth ten silver coins unless it's quite a distance away."

"Where is the destination?" I inquired, before agreeing.

The merchant's face cracked with a friendly smile, "Oxburg."

"Oxburg?"

If I had to go to Oxburg, I would be backtracking my way.

"Sir," said I, "I can deliver the letter for you, but I still have a lot of perishable food items on hand. Would it be acceptable for you to give me the ten silvers first?"

"No," the man answered. "We don't know each other. However, I am also a merchant and am willing to purchase your wares at a good price."

I found this solution to be acceptable. After all, rather than hawking my wares for a full day, I could simply sell everything all at once to this man. We negotiated the price per pound, until we were both satisfied.