Tricking Midas

In the tent, the boy and I slept side-by-side. In the morning, before the sun rose, my body felt heavier than usual. I looked down to find the boy lying on top of me. No wonder. I shook Raine lightly. He groaned but fought against wakefulness.

I pulled out a glass of milk and a bowl of hot oatmeal from the tradeshop. The delicious smell soon woke up the sleepy boy. I handed the items over to him and told him to eat up. For myself, I ate a sandwich and drank a drink of hot rosehip tea. The only problem I had now was all the glasses and cups I had from taking out the beverages. Although Midas had kept the blankets and some articles of clothes from Jerilyn's wardrobe, but I didn't see a storage area for things that I could put in the tradeshop.

I sent the boy out of the tent so I could change my clothes. In truth, I whispered to Midas and complained about the lack of a storage space.

"Why do humans always ask for more?" she threw the complaint back at me.

"It's not that I'm being greedy," I reasoned with her, "It's more of an issue with being discovered. If I were to suddenly accumulate all these glasses and flasks from the tradeshop, wouldn't people wonder where it came from?"

Midas' anger lowered as she began to see my point. "I suppose I can unlock a place for you to store some things."

I smiled at how my goal had been easily accomplished.

Then she added, "Wait, no, yes, ah!" She seemed to be working on how she was going to phrase her next sentence.  "However, I need to add a condition," she added at last. "The storage space can only hold items not obtained through foul means."

"I know," I told her, nodding my head obediently, fearing she would change her mind. I quickly stuffed the glasses and other items into the newly acquired storage space.

At daybreak, I collected my things back into my pack. The previous tiredness of the day before had been relieved by a good night's rest. We were all ready to begin our journey.

We put the fire out. If needed, I would go back again tonight to trade for a light with the armed escort.

Dandelions lined the edge of the road. Their bright yellow color brought a bit of pleasure to me.

Raine walked stoically, with one hand holding mine and the other gripping onto the water flask with dear life. His stern expression as though he had been entrusted with the most important task in the world made me faintly smile. Maybe this child feared that if he lost the water flask, I would surely chase him away. I noticed he would never dare to drink the water of his own volition.

Therefore, I frequently took water breaks and when I did, I always made sure to tell him to partake as well. The little boy would listen dutifully. Ah, he really is an obedient child.

Some of the children in the merchant's household were brats, who played mean tricks on the servants. I couldn't see Raine ever acting like any of those monsters.